British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

newheart

Album for coin storage

10 hours ago, Sword said:

I recognise your Avatar newheart, it's King Arthur's Round Table inside the Great Hall in Winchester. I visited the town 6 years ago and took a photo of it.

Well spotted Sword! I live in Winchester and The Great Hall is my favourite building. 

13 hours ago, newheart said:

Not sure about the grading one yet, seems a bit dry and perhaps a bit premature (and isn't it aimed at those trying to grade and resell old coins?).

Its a very good book if you want to know about grading. It also helps you to know what to look out for when grading your own coins for your records. Its also good to know what to look out for when buying coins for the collection to see if your seller is selling you the correct grade.I found it invaluable when I first started. It really does help you understand what to look for in a good coin. If interested PM me your address and I will send you a few spare coins I have. They will not be top notch but it will give you some examples as to grades etc.

• Like 1

Thanks Upinsmoke, I will order that book too then. That is a very kind offer, I do have some coins though, about 20+ found on eBay - I wouldn't want to mislead you.Will pm. 

More hand-holding needed please. Having got my new Numis album, do I want to clean the coins in any way before putting them in the album. Not to improve the appearance, I love the patina, but to preserve the coins or stop any weird reaction with the plastic sleeves?  Perhaps a gentle dab with a lens (glasses) cloth? Will do nothing yet, I know the whole question of coin cleaning is a contentious one!

Edited by newheart

3 hours ago, newheart said:

More hand-holding needed please. Having got my new Numis album, do I want to clean the coins in any way before putting them in the album. Not to improve the appearance, I love the patina, but to preserve the coins or stop any weird reaction with the plastic sleeves?  Perhaps a gentle dab with a lens (glasses) cloth? Will do nothing yet, I know the whole question of coin cleaning is a contentious one!

It is nearly always best not to clean coins (esp if you have just started the hobby). If you have brought a good album from a reputable brand, then the coins shouldn't react with the plastic. (Cleaning is not going to stop any potential reaction anyway.)

In theory, a gentle wipe with a lens cloth is fine if the cloth is very clean. However, if there is any grit on the cloth, then your coins will end up with hairlines (i.e. ruined). 

So just put them in the album and enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks Sword, sound advice :-)

For any fellow newbie reading this, the Numis albums are very good. The only downside to them that I can see is that it can be quite hard to remove a coin once inserted into the pocket (I need to buy some sort of soft tipped tweezers), and the double later of plastic over the coin does obscure the coin a bit. The eBay seller referred to earlier in this thread has been excellent.

Try squeezing the coin out by gently pressing at the bottom of the pocket :)

But careful that doesn't fall to the floor!

Hi Leo, yes that can work but some coins just will not budge! But perhaps I am squeezing them into pockets that are too small.

Is that guest mark, or guest marek? I presume you are highlighting your wares?

Chris the owner of this forum does albums and accessories - see the top of the page and follow the link.

I don't actually anymore Rob! It was a lot of work for low financial rewards. I tend to recommend Andy at http://www.coingallery.co.uk/

I quite like the albums and sleeves that WH Smiths do - the double action means they are easy to get in and out when you need to, but there is no chance of them escaping when you don't. 

1 hour ago, Chris Perkins said:

I don't actually anymore Rob! It was a lot of work for low financial rewards. I tend to recommend Andy at http://www.coingallery.co.uk/

I buy your flips as they are the only ones that don't sweat and leave gunk on the coins :) 41 MM takes care of most of the coins just need crown size ones :)

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, zookeeperz said:

I buy your flips as they are the only ones that don't sweat and leave gunk on the coins :) 41 MM takes care of most of the coins just need crown size ones :)

Thanks! Yes, those and the coin ID cards are pretty much all I do now in the way of accessories.