British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Goodness me, Baldwins

Just wow! £450-550 estimate, and described as near Very Fine!

Yes, a 1a, but a horrible coin, and no mention of the stress crease/cracks on the reverse from a previous bend!

Argh! Can't upload image! Will try below!

Edited by Coinery

IMG_3584.JPG

Do expand the image...it's shocking up close and personal!

Just as a point of interest, this is the same image I couldn't post earlier!

Edited by Coinery

Well I'm certainly no expert on hammered coins, but if that's NVF, I'm a Dutchman.  

3 hours ago, Coinery said:

IMG_3584.JPG

Do expand the image...it's shocking up close and personal!

Just as a point of interest, this is the same image I couldn't post earlier!

the picture thing is bloody annoying 

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well I'm certainly no expert on hammered coins, but if that's NVF, I'm a Dutchman.  

obviously a detector find, and been straightened

Its a nice clear portrait  but the rest of the coin I would struggle to call  much better than fine TBH

Some mug will buy it as it's Baldwin's. This is why I don't buy from these big name dealers. Rubbish at inflated prices!.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the graders at the big dealers and auction houses stay relatively unchanged for a number of years, and whether they are well-known and respected in the industry? Is Neil now grading for Baldwins as he used to for Colin Cooke? The only grader I know personally is the chief grader at London Coins ...

From time to time I go back and look at the Baldwins offers and I am usually disappointed.

Apart from its massive grade failing, it's also encrusted, corroded, previously creased, scoured, and totally uninspiring as a coin.

most of the class 1 coins I've seen so far have mostly been full-round and well and centrally struck, and mostly they generally seem to wear evenly, leaving a mostly clear and eye-pleasing coin, so it's not unusual or a stand-out example in that respect either! It could barely handle any other problems without being delegated to gap filler.

It's a hammer price I'll be very much interested in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if the graders at the big dealers and auction houses stay relatively unchanged for a number of years, and whether they are well-known and respected in the industry? Is Neil now grading for Baldwins as he used to for Colin Cooke? The only grader I know personally is the chief grader at London Coins ...

I'm guessing Rob would know? Would be interesting to hear Neil's thoughts on the grade for this one,  especially if the grade were to include the issues, as seems fashionable nowadays.

Much the same as you Stuart, 'don't be ridiculous' was my first thought on seeing those photos.

On 04/09/2017 at 11:39 PM, Coinery said:

I'm guessing Rob would know? Would be interesting to hear Neil's thoughts on the grade for this one,  especially if the grade were to include the issues, as seems fashionable nowadays.

It's been a while since I posted on here and meant to come on months ago!!! This I'm guessing was an auction lot for one of our sales last week? I don't do any of the grading or cataloguing for the auctions, consultants are used. I do the grading on the retail side, though any coins on the website which were there before I started were done by the old team.

• Like 5

I believe that Michael Gouby helps with the cataloguing of bronze coins for Baldwins, for example.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2017 at 6:54 PM, Coinery said:

Just wow! £450-550 estimate, and described as near Very Fine!

Yes, a 1a, but a horrible coin, and no mention of the stress crease/cracks on the reverse from a previous bend!

Argh! Can't upload image! Will try below!

Crazy to think it went for 700 GBP hammer price + costs!

5 hours ago, Descartes said:

Crazy to think it went for 700 GBP hammer price + costs!

Totally nuts! Can hardly believe it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coinery said:

Totally nuts! Can hardly believe it! 

Astonishing. 

Grrr, can't upload the cropped close-up! Nice coin though! 

Edit: I can now upload! ?

IMG_3631.PNG

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Coinery said:

This 1c surprised me too!

IMG_3630.PNG

Blimey! That does seem a little excessive :o ...I'm sorry but I wouldn't have paid over 200 quid for that specific coin.

• Like 1

in my opinion 271£ for the coin above is in proportion more expensive than the first coin of this discussion ... that I don't think is too bad  :D

this one for example was sold by Spink in September 2014 for 450 + rights

14006_232_1-2014919202428_540x360.jpg

1 hour ago, Matteo95 said:

in my opinion 271£ for the coin above is in proportion more expensive than the first coin of this discussion ... that I don't think is too bad  :D

this one for example was sold by Spink in September 2014 for 450 + rights

14006_232_1-2014919202428_540x360.jpg

That gives it some perspective I guess? Still far too much money for ugly coins, 1a or not! It's looking like a worthy example is going to sail way over £1.5k according to these two previous examples?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Descartes said:

Blimey! That does seem a little excessive :o ...I'm sorry but I wouldn't have paid over 200 quid for that specific coin.

I can only guess that the buyer desperately needed a 1c for the collection?

there does seem to be a rise in the prices for quality Plantagenet coins? I might've joined the party too late.

Back to G6 it is, then! ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coinery said:

I can only guess that the buyer desperately needed a 1c for the collection?

there does seem to be a rise in the prices for quality Plantagenet coins? I might've joined the party too late.

Back to G6 it is, then! ?

Why don't you look at 10th century pennies from EdE to Ae2? They don't seem too hot at the moment and there is plenty of scope for discoveries to be made.

• Like 1