British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just wondering how their sale was going yesterday and today, and also what the atmosphere of the London show in general was. How enthusiastic was the bidding? As always, I like to follow the Victorian silver. On a personal note, have to say I was "targeting" one of the sixpences......

Didn't go, and on this occasion, didn't bid. 

I also had my name down for the catalogue, but never received it. 

Not really in accord with what you were asking, VS. But as nobody else has posted yet, I thought I might as well give my two pennuth.    

Didn't attend, but placed a bid lot 2400. Haven't heard so guess I did not get it. Did anyone win it?

18 minutes ago, IanB said:

Didn't attend, but placed a bid lot 2400. Haven't heard so guess I did not get it. Did anyone win it?

Can't win if you don't play - which I did not. Starting bids were a bit high.

I bid on four lots and won three, all below my max. All three are upgrades.

• Like 1

Good work on that, I'm still waiting to hear on the one as I had a dealer to bid for me...

Spink has not yet posted their Coinex auctions & what else might be in store?

11 hours ago, jaggy said:

I bid on four lots and won three, all below my max. All three are upgrades.

Good to see you are still active. I had two phone bids, the first the call couldn't get through and the second; est.£400 fetched £1,100! .So I lost both.I guess you would call that pretty boyant

12 hours ago, IanB said:

Unsold

Lots of auctions coming soon, so didn't bid.  Might have been tempted by the halfpound if I'd known it would go below low estimate. 

Too many auctions this month with lots of boxes that could be ticked. I badly need a lottery win - yesterday. :(

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Unsold

My own fault my bid was just below the low estimate so obviously not accepted, even though I got an email back confirming that the bid was acknowledged

Lesson learnt for the future.

11 minutes ago, IanB said:

My own fault my bid was just below the low estimate so obviously not accepted, even though I got an email back confirming that the bid was acknowledged

Lesson learnt for the future.

I expect if you were to phone LC and speak to Semra saying that you want the F96 penny at the low estimate then she will say you can have it.....assuming that's what you now want.  

I am guessing it did not sell because it was over priced even at the lowest estimate. So I will pass on this and bide my time for the moment

The dnw auction opens today. Something for everyone in that.  

DNW is going to be an ongoing project for all this year and next. :)

Looking at DNW for tomorrow and lot 1145 is not a F65 :)

Lots to look at from this morning until it finishes though.

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Looking at DNW for tomorrow and lot 1145 is not a F65 :)

Lots to look at from this morning until it finishes though.

What is it then Pete? :)

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

What is it then Pete? :)

It's a Freeman 66, Jon. Same as the 65 but with an H underneath the date, and not as scarce, relatively speaking, as the 65 - although the 65 isn't hard to find.

here's a link to the lot

Edited by 1949threepence

Thanks Mike. :)

On 9/13/2017 at 6:44 AM, 1949threepence said:

The dnw auction opens today. Something for everyone in that.  

Thanks for the heads up on this auction. I did mange to bid on two lots and won both so please you posted this. Although that's me spent up now for a few months now.

• Like 1

Rob, not quite following you on why DNW will be a "project" this year and next. Can you clue me in?

7 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Rob, not quite following you on why DNW will be a "project" this year and next. Can you clue me in?

Nothing for you Eric. John Hulett's collection. Mostly not high grade, but some wonderful rarities to be had. They say the collection will be in 6 parts, but I would have thought it should be more like 12 because of the large numbers of coins.

He will be sorely missed. Someone who had all the time in the world for you if you wanted to discuss coins. It was a standing joke between me and another that he not only knew the name of the bloke who carried a set of dies from one place to another, but also knew the name of his horse. He had a huge amount of knowledge which he freely shared. He was also happy for you to take pictures of anything you needed for research. I used to call in regularly when passing because there was always so much to learn.

• Like 1

Oh, very sad to hear. Thanks though.

Leaving aside the milled which he collected mostly in the 1940s, the main part of the collection must have a few thousand hammered coins. His wants list was only on six sides of paper - not quite on a postage stamp, but nearly so.

He was certainly one of the last people to collect so widely because it is just not feasible today with prices being what they are. He was paying a few times face for his milled coins during WW2, something today's collectors can only dream about. A coin costing a couple shillings then is a hundred quid today.

Edited by Rob