British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

42 minutes ago, Rob said:

Leaving aside the milled which he collected mostly in the 1940s, the main part of the collection must have a few thousand hammered coins. His wants list was only on six sides of paper - not quite on a postage stamp, but nearly so.

He was certainly one of the last people to collect so widely because it is just not feasible today with prices being what they are. He was paying a few times face for his milled coins during WW2, something today's collectors can only dream about. A coin costing a couple shillings then is a hundred quid today.

Some nice sixpences perchance?

Possibly. Depends on what you want. Certainly some rare ones, even unique. They will all appear at some point, but I've no idea on the order in which the collection will be dispersed.

The first bit was a little disjointed to my mind. The Richard III halfgroat stood in splendid isolation but I suppose the Civil War things were ok. 8 Exeter crowns out of the 33 die pairs known is probably about right, but they could have included some more Tower silver and a bit of Henry VI wouldn't have gone amiss along with Civil War York and W/SA which could get a bit congested if they aren't careful.

Hmm, late milled patterns perhaps??

12 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Thanks for the heads up on this auction. I did mange to bid on two lots and won both so please you posted this. Although that's me spent up now for a few months now.

Well done Mick. I got one yesterday as well. 

10 hours ago, Rob said:

Leaving aside the milled which he collected mostly in the 1940s, the main part of the collection must have a few thousand hammered coins. His wants list was only on six sides of paper - not quite on a postage stamp, but nearly so.

He was certainly one of the last people to collect so widely because it is just not feasible today with prices being what they are. He was paying a few times face for his milled coins during WW2, something today's collectors can only dream about. A coin costing a couple shillings then is a hundred quid today.

With attention stongly focused elsewhere, that was definitely a great time to collect if you had the time and motivation.

Of course, he would have had no idea then what would happen with prices in the many decades to follow.  

For anybody who might find it a useful reference point, a full list of the realised prices at the DNW auction of 13-15.9.17, cab be seen here.