British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

£2

I have with the help of two forum members put together a set of the £2 coins and would like to thank them both again :).

However i am only missing one so thought i would try here before buying it from ebay.

Just need a 2002 commonwealth IRELAND.

Please PM me if you have a spare thats in nice condition and i will pay you straight away.....At a fair price :D

Pete.

Not so easy and always in demand. It is probably the most asked for decimal item at the table.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

Not so easy and always in demand. It is probably the most asked for decimal item at the table.

Looks that way Rob although i dont have a clue about them , the two forum members both had loads between them and didnt have duplicates of this one.

Plenty on ebay but thought i would ask here first :)

Can't help you with the coin I'm afraid Pete, I only have an England Commonwealth Games £2 (and frustratingly, a duplicate!) but I'm interested in which of the £2 coins are your favourites.  Purely from a design perspective, I like the Magna Carta and the Guinea anniversary coins the most.  

I have collected most of the commemoratives from circulation over the last 3 or 4 years and am missing the other 3 Commonwealth Games coins, the Shakespeare Comedies and the two new 2017 coins.  I haven't collected each year of the standard coins, just one example of each of the two designs.

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Can't help you with the coin I'm afraid Pete, I only have an England Commonwealth Games £2 (and frustratingly, a duplicate!) but I'm interested in which of the £2 coins are your favourites.  Purely from a design perspective, I like the Magna Carta and the Guinea anniversary coins the most.  

I have collected most of the commemoratives from circulation over the last 3 or 4 years and am missing the other 3 Commonwealth Games coins, the Shakespeare Comedies and the two new 2017 coins.  I haven't collected each year of the standard coins, just one example of each of the two designs.

Probably the Mary Rose and the Charles Darwin although a few look ok Dan. 

The slave trade one i think is Rang  :D.

Not really looked at them before receiving them all and some i dont think i have ever seen in change.

I also did not realise there were so many and found the Check your change site usefull.

Pete.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Probably the Mary Rose and the Charles Darwin although a few look ok Dan. 

The slave trade one i think is Rang  :D.

Not really looked at them before receiving them all and some i dont think i have ever seen in change.

I also did not realise there were so many and found the Check your change site usefull.

Pete.

mine has to be the fire of london £2 

I have one but no spare Pete, sorry. I still need 2002 Scotland, Wales, both 2008 Olympics, 2011 King James Bible, 2015 Royal Navy, 2016 Shakespeare comedies, Britannia, Army and Great Fire of London.

I refuse to pay more than face value for circulating decimals. 

I still need 13 Olympic 50ps. I was a bit late to the party collecting those. :(

I did two bank runs of £2 coins earlier this year, £1000 worth, so 500 coins in total.  There were 86 commemoratives plus 6 britannias (all 2016) and 1 Jersey 1998 coin in this sample, with the other 407 coins being the standard 1997-2015 design.  Frequency for the 86 commemoratives was as follows:

9 x Brunel- his achievements

8 x Brunel - the man

8 x St Pauls cathedral 1945-2005 WW2

4 x Robert Burns

4 x 2014 WW1 Outbreak

4 x Rugby World Cup

4 x Abolition of slavery

3 x Trinity House

3 x 2016 WW1 Army - I like the design of this one as well, reminds me of futurist art

3 x Shakespeare Tragedies

3 x Gunpowder Plot

3 x Charles Dickens

3 x 2015 WW1 Navy - surprising, given its rarity.  I have 4 of these coins now, 3 in pretty decent nick

2 x Magna Carta

2 x Act of Union

2 x Marconi

2 x DNA

2 x Florence Nightingale

1 x Charles Darwin

1 x Great Fire of London

1 x London Underground - the roundel

1 x Shakespeare Histories

1 x King James Bible

1 x Mary Rose

1 x 2008 Beijing Olympic Handover

All good fun...:)

Edited by Stuntman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

3 x 2015 WW1 Navy - surprising, given its rarity.  I have 4 of these coins now, 3 in pretty decent nick

I reported to the RM that these were on Alibaba and that one UK account bought 2 lots of 2000 and 1000 just after issue, never heard back from RM. They may still be on Alibaba and they looked very good for copies

Interesting... I'd better have a quick check of mine to see if there's anything obviously amiss with them.  From memory, none of them have the 'flag at half mast' die error.

Edited by Stuntman

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Stuntman said:

Interesting... I'd better have a quick check of mine to see if there's anything obviously amiss with them.  From memory, none of them have the 'flag at half mast' die error.

http://www.thefakepoundcoindatabase.co.uk/twopounds-commem.html

Sign in to follow this