British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Numismagician

1992 Lion £1 Coin?

Hello,

I've come across a £1 coin dated 1992 with a 'Standing Lion Rampant' design - can anyone shed some light on whether this is definitely a fake? I can't find record of it anywhere or even any other examples, save for this one on eBay -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fake-1992-wrong-year-not-1999-94-Scottish-LION-RAMPANT-copy-1-ONE-POUND-COIN-/132308942283?hash=item1ece3a3dcb:g:EWUAAOSw1xhZovfB

I enclose a short video of me turning it over as two separate photos of each side wouldn't be proof that they are both of the same coin: 

P.s. I'm new to all of this, so apologies if wrong section etc. 

Thanks!

doesnt look fake, actually still pictures of either side would be good at this point,     lion rampant was 1994, oak tree was 1992 

Certain fake.

Indeed one of the characteristics of the very numerous £1 coin fakes, was the way that the given year did not match the reverse. Because there was such widespread official and public complacency towards the fakes, the forgers became very sloppy.    

Edited by 1949threepence

It looks thicker than I would have expected. Can you measure it please.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:20 PM, 1949threepence said:

Certain fake.

Indeed one of the characteristics of the very numerous £1 coin fakes, was the way that the given year did not match the reverse. Because there was such widespread official and public complacency towards the fakes, the forgers became very sloppy.    

looks to good to be a fake in my opinion,    but it must be 

Here's some photos of the fake, with edited versions that should hopefully show more of the details. I shrunk each pic down massively in order to attach them and hopefully not clog things up with multiple posts (should take one more post to post the rest though)

DSC_0990.JPG

DSC_0991 (edit).JPG

DSC_0991.JPG

DSC_0993 edit.JPG

DSC_0993.JPG

If you exit after posting and come back in you can upload another 500k.

More importantly, trim the image so that the coin fills as much area as possible. OK, you are still stuck with an image that has a maximum of just over 78.5% coverage with the subject material, but it is a vast improvement on the 7.5% you are currently utilising. All foreground and background detail as posted is wasted image space.

The rim looks thicker than it should be so I'd say its a fake. The edge lettering is sometimes an easy way to spot fake £1 coins too if you could upload an image of that.