British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

|Toning

pf 64 for this ?? does toning not have any effect on grade, unless it happened after it was slabbed, whats the deal with slabbed coins that go mouldy like that ? are they still worth the grade ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1937-SILVER-GREAT-BRITAIN-1-SHILLING-SCOTTISH-CREST-KING-GEORGE-VI-NGC-PROOF-64-/222398488454?hash=item33c7fb9f86:g:TsEAAOSwt0FZC3yI

Toning should have absolutely no effect on grade which is a measure of wear (allegedly).

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

Toning should have absolutely no effect on grade which is a measure of wear (allegedly).

obviously an coin with attractive toning is more sought after,   

46 minutes ago, craigy said:

That's why one should buy the coin and not the number!

And buying a slabbed coin unseen can be a big mistake. 

14 hours ago, craigy said:

Have a look at: https://www.pcgs.com/eyeappeal/

Apparently, PCGS does take account of toning as part of their "eye appeal" assessment  when assigning the grade. Supposedly, MS or PR 66 must have "above average" eye-appeal. High end coins for the grade, i.e. "plus" grades, cannot have negative or below average eye appeal for the grade.

Can't say I agree with them on some of the examples they gave. Personally, I find their two Morgan dollars with rainbow toning assessed with positive eye appeal positively ugly. The Peace Dollar with "below average" eye appeal is terrible but the reverse of  the Morgan dollar with the lower category of "negative" eye appeal looks kind of OK to me.

It probably stands to reason that a top end coin is likely to have good eye-appeal in any case having encountered fewer potential sources of problems. Having said that, it therefore dilutes the credibility of the grading system as the number then becomes dependant on the aesthetic preferences of the grader. All aesthetic considerations are personal. Wear, bagmarks or other impediments are facts - present or not and to what degree, i.e. not personal.