British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all,

this is my first post having joined on behalf of my father-in-law, who is hoping to find a bit of assistance and advice around some of the coins he has casually collected over the years.

His first unusual one is he has a 1836 Threepenny bit but with Victoria's head on it rather than William's. Could this be a test coin or a fake?

Hope these type of questions are acceptable in the forum and whether it's OK to ask further queries around the other coins he can't find answers to.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. 1836 would indeed or should be William, pictures would be good though if at all possible.....

Thanks Azda for the welcome!

I've attached some images.

The condition is far from good, but it's more the anomaly of the date and Victoria being of interest.

Will be interested to hear peoples' thoughts.

Regards

Steve 

threepenny_front.png

threepenny_back.png

Edited by sgpowelluk

Just a damaged 1886 I think?

Thanks mrbadexample. When you say damaged do you mean; deliberately, miss-struck or wear and tear?

Would the three have a flat top if it was a genuine 3?

Do I need to look with proper magnification?

Thanks

Steve

I agree. The more numerous and smaller border beads on the reverse proves it has to date post-1866, according to the Davies die identifiers in his British Silver Coins book, plus the obverse too has to be a later type as it is in lower relief.

I suspect either accidental damage or else someone "tinkering" with the date to produce a curiosity.

Believe that an 1886 that is hard to look at. 

Also, Vick was not a "lock" for queen, let alone the actual one in 1836!

Now, if it was a nicely preserved 1837, that would be a different affair....

Edited by VickySilver

most early silver threepence have no date visable so I would go with the above.

It would be impossable to be a 1836 anyway as it was not known that victoria would be queen till william died in 1837

5 hours ago, sgpowelluk said:

When you say damaged do you mean; deliberately, miss-struck or wear and tear?

Just battered and bruised I think.