British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

cath

Small collection of half sovereigns - selling?

I have 17 half sovereigns and one full sovereign that were collected by my grandmother.  They range from 1884 to 1914.  I'm wondering how to go about selling them so have come on here for some expert advice!  I can see that the bullion price and the numismatic price can be quite different for individual coins, but most of the buying sites I can find don't seem to differentiate between coins, they are just buying by the weight of gold.  What is the best way to sell?

Many thanks in advance from a coin ignoramous.

I am no expert but perhaps you could contact one of the coin auction to get them valued. That way you would at least know if they were worth any more than bullion value. A few suggestions.  

London Coins

A. H. Baldwin & Sons ,

Dix Noonan Webb ,

Warwick & Warwick Ltd

Do you have dates or pictures? I collect this denomination avidly but stick to the higher grade pieces....

7 hours ago, cath said:

I have 17 half sovereigns and one full sovereign that were collected by my grandmother.  They range from 1884 to 1914.  I'm wondering how to go about selling them so have come on here for some expert advice!  I can see that the bullion price and the numismatic price can be quite different for individual coins, but most of the buying sites I can find don't seem to differentiate between coins, they are just buying by the weight of gold.  What is the best way to sell?

Many thanks in advance from a coin ignoramous.

The simple answer is that they will always be worth the current bullion value. Any increase over this will be determind by the garde of the coin. Well worn (F/VF) and you are looking at bullion. At EF and upwards, there will likely be some premium depending on dates etc.

Thanks, I did look at sending them to an auction house but I'm not keen on posting them all together - I live in the north of Scotland so I don't think there is anywhere I can take them to personally.  Is there any easy way of knowing what grade they are?  I will have a go at getting some pictures of them later. 

If you can get decent quality pictures posted on here Cath there are plenty of people who can give you some guidance on the grade :)

This is an attempt at photos - not great quality but a starting point I hope!  

Coins1.jpg

Coins2.jpg

• Like 1

They all look nice mid to higher grade from the pictures.

As a dealer I would be at £2000 on the whole lot to buy them.

Your valuation for auction would be £1800-£2200 but you would have commission and other fees to pay (lotting etc) depending on which auction house you used.

Hope that helps.

I love the denomination as said, but can tell you no rare dates there. Still, nice to have a bit of gold. Rough gold content is about two ounces, or  a little less.