British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nonmortuus

1920 threepence - Sterling v debased

Hi all,

Is there any way to distinguish between a sterling 1920 threepence and a debased 1920 threepence?

Thanks

Non

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

Hi all,

Is there any way to distinguish between a sterling 1920 threepence and a debased 1920 threepence?

Thanks

Non

By sound.  Put them on a piece of glass and raise one side a couple of mm and let it go.  They will make different sounds.  Then compare with a pre-1920 threepence to see which is which.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Non

Two ways, but neither is expecially satisfactory.

Firstly, when spun on a metal surface and allowed to come to rest, the debased silver 'rings' at a higher pitch than sterling silver. To understand the difference, simply spin a pre-1920 and a post 1920 and listen to the difference. However, I have no idea, apart from chemically, how to determine which alloy mix was used for the debased silver types.

Secondly, if the coins are very high grade, you may be able to examine the serifs of the 'Es'. Sterling silver coins have sharper points due to better metal flow, although the difference is tiny.    

Are you near to a University? They have spectroscopy machines that will give you an alloy readout. Also, there are some companies that make XRF hand held devices that will also give it to you  - sometimes jewelers have them (I've been trying to find them around here in MD, USA without success). I have one of each type I think but not sure where they are.

Allegedly, and according to Groom, the Sterling examples have sharper margins to the E's as was stated just above which is what mine had by recall. I'll see if I can locate these after work today. If you PM me email I will send them to you.

As a footnote, I have many times seen written that a finer (higher percentage) silver coin will have a "duller" ring when rapped than a more base example. I personally have found that NOT to be the case. A better silver piece when dropped has a much clearer ring, almost as a bell, than the dull thud of a lower fineness or base example. That would demonstrate a higher pitch.

Thank you all for the input. It sounds like a dark art to distinguish the two... :)

31 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Thank you all for the input. It sounds like a dark art to distinguish the two... :)

Three, since there were two different metal mixes used for the 50:50 coins. Chemical analysis or spectroscopy is the only way to distinguish the two alloys.

Edited by DaveG38

5 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Non

Interesting topic I am interested to know as well as I collect silver 3d's myself.