British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

1826/5 George IIII Shilling?

Hi.

Does anyone think this is a George IV 1826/5 shilling overdate?

Thank you.

20170822_124838~2.jpg

20170822_124842~2.jpg

Same as this Now I know there isn't any 1823 shilling with the lion reverse but you would think to look at that this is a 1825/3. Only other thoughts I had was an inverted 9 or a 6. Same for the 1826 . I think there is a distinct possibility there is a 2 underneath but that's pure conjecture More likely an 8? Be interested in what you guys think

1825o3.jpg

1826o2.jpg

The thing with the shape of the 5 is that the two ends are very close to their respective adjacent parts of the curve even when well struck and unworn. With such a small barrier between the two sections, it is easy for this to break off and so create a flaw, bridging the gap. The same goes for the 2.

In the case of the 6/2, the underlying digits has the two corners at the bottom of the character showing clear of the loop of the 6, and this 6 is rotated acw (or at least in the examples I have seen).

Close up of the 6/2.

1826 over 2 ....jpg

• Like 1

Tbh I am not seeing a 2 at all . Where is curve section that would pass through the top ball part  and loop of the 6. I understand with the 5 that happens but there is nothing broken on the 5 you can see the down stroke is full and so is the top serif. So begs the question where did the rest come from. As for the 6/2 or 6 over any number of possibilities. If you look on the 2 where the left hand neck strats and the bottom serif you can see under the 6 both those points also the back of the serif on the right edge of the 2 is a visible marker point. Not saying it is there but those three points exist to the eye underneath the 6. It could also be purely coincidental. It makes it very difficult with any digit that has a 6 over it as for all intense of purpose it is like mapping over a 3/4 filled 0 if you get me lol. So anything under it would make it look like a filled 0 unless it had points to see like corners of 7's etc . Anything rounded and it is very difficult. I'll try see if I can  get some better close ups as my new 15th magnifying scope turns up. Do not buy the lighthouse one for £167 absolute garbage.

On 23/08/2017 at 10:46 PM, zookeeperz said:

Same as this Now I know there isn't any 1823 shilling with the lion reverse but you would think to look at that this is a 1825/3. Only other thoughts I had was an inverted 9 or a 6. Same for the 1826 . I think there is a distinct possibility there is a 2 underneath but that's pure conjecture More likely an 8? Be interested in what you guys think

1825o3.jpg

1826o2.jpg

I found this really crude blender program but I think it shows enough to pretty much confirm that this 1826 is 6/0 Obviously not exactly identical different wears and such I just wanted to put an 0 and 6 together to get a read on how they looked and the 2 parts of the coin where the gaps appear are pretty much spot on. thoughts?

capture12_11_2017_12_21_54.jpeg

1826over0.jpeg

• Like 1