British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cliff

1897 Type 3 Open 9?

Michael Gouby shows two types of 9 for 1897 Pennies: Type 1 is where the centre loop is firmly connected to the down curved leg, Type 2 is connected by "what appears to be a thin thread".

Is the attached a Type 3?

Cliff

1897Ab Open 9 type C Rev.jpg

1897Ab Open 9 type C.jpg

My F148 high tide seems to be the same, although the numbers are different positions !

1897 F148 high tide zoom2.JPG

This is just random from a selection of near unc coins that had decent pics well nearly all :)  There are more variants to the 1897  than first glance tells. Hopefully you can see what I am trying to explain on the pictures The Number 7 has different font styles Some are straight legged and have a shallow angle with the outside edge of the leg finishing before the  the hook part serif at the top . Some are tapered legged with a gentle curve down and away to the right Also finishing if drawing a straight vertical line somewhere in the middle of the top bar of the 7. Also a much wider angle curved leg with the  LH edge of the leg vertical line reaches the very edge of the top bar. All the 1's favour pointing to the tooth or a nats left but 1 is decidedly favouring almost the gap . three style 9's in regard head size and the inner circular gap Small medium and large a 1898 style 8 with the cross sections out of line  various pointings of the 7 . Obviously needs further investigation . Throws up a few different styles . What say you Ladies and  gentlemen?

1897A-vert.jpg

The ‘8’s are not the scarce 1898 font variety, the easiest way to tell those is that the areas enclosed by the loop of the 8’s are circular not oval.

Jerry

I think I remember Peter Andrew buying a lot from LCA (Elstree collection ?) which included a document regarding 1897 variations. He sent me a copy but I've saved it to somewhere that I can't find !

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I think I remember Peter Andrew buying a lot from LCA (Elstree collection ?) which included a document regarding 1897 variations. He sent me a copy but I've saved it to somewhere that I can't find !

It's in that safe place :)

22 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

It's in that safe place :)

Hi Zoo.

If you want a copy of this just PM me your email address and will send it you.

Pete.