British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
argentumandcoins

Photobucket

Just when you think things can't get any tougher as a dealer......

I attempted to list a few items for auction on ebay last night. Ebay have recently moved the goalposts re charges, use of Turbo Lister etc and are becoming a real pain to deal on. I use photofuckit for my pictures on all websites (this one included) and was astounded to see a message pop up on my ebay listings rather than my pictures. The message told me that I could no longer use photofuckit for hosting on 3rd party sites unless I upgraded to their 500 plan. With over 2900 items on ebay this left me somewhat in the brown smelly stuff. My only option was to hope they greased me up as I bent over the barrel for them and I ended up shelling out the eye watering sum of £301 to upgrade for the year, yes, £301 or $389.99 to be more accurate.......

Ebay are tightening up on off site deals now as well and they are removing all contact info or listings that it appears on. What's the answer? Go back to a website that costs £30/month but generates little trade or keep letting 3rd parties brutalise you?

I saw that those changes to PhotoBucket were coming and deleted my account.  There are plenty of free image hosting sites around, but how long will any of them survive?

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I saw that those changes to PhotoBucket were coming and deleted my account.  There are plenty of free image hosting sites around, but how long will any of them survive?

Sadly with over 5000 images attached to on sale items I am tied to them......

Seems a bit below the belt that this applies to stuff already on there, posted under the terms previously offered.

Sounds like sharp practice to me. Is it legal?

It amounts to the old "If I'd known you were going to do that, I'd never have bothered with you in the first place"  

49 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Seems a bit below the belt that this applies to stuff already on there, posted under the terms previously offered.

Sounds like sharp practice to me. Is it legal?

It amounts to the old "If I'd known you were going to do that, I'd never have bothered with you in the first place"  

A USA company Mike so Trump rules apply (they can do what they want when they want)

Perhaps the best solution would be to rent your own web-space and host the images yourself.

Or perhaps you could use Google Drive to host the images, which is free up to 5GB of storage.  Not sure whether they allow embedding in other sites though.

Edited by Nick

Photobucket has ruined most blogs and forums...it's outright criminal behaviour, but clearly "allowed" in their fine print that we all agreed to.  I moved my photos onto a privately hosted site that a friend manages.  I had also considered Imageshack briefly...but who knows when such a site will also hold your images for ransom.  

:wacko:

I now use a totally free web hosting option (Wordpress) to store my coin pics (see link below) ... 3 gb upload limit

All I need to do to post pics in here is to right-click on the image in Wordpress, select Copy Image, then Ctrl+V into here

Edited by Paulus

17 hours ago, Paulus said:

I now use a totally free web hosting option (Wordpress) to store my coin pics (see link below) ... 3 gb upload limit

All I need to do to post pics in here is to right-click on the image in Wordpress, select Copy Image, then Ctrl+V into here

I have 20.4gb stored on photobucket.

Have you looked at AWS? Where I work, we are an authorised AWS reseller. I know that they used to do a media hosting service. It may be worth looking into AWS S3.

Edited by Nonmortuus

You can use Dropbox, but should amend the URL ending from ?dl=0 to ?raw=1 - that will allow embedding.

Edited by Peckris

That's truly blood boiling! We're going to find this kind of abuse happening over and over again, to what will amount to, in most cases, decades of backed up data. 

As this kind of thing happens more and more, and they chuck in a few task-orientated 'updates' to keep us busy or befuddled, there will come a point when we haven't either the time or capacity to manage it, so we will then just have to choicelessly hand over the cash for a peaceful life! Seriously unethical.

We get focused on ridding ourselves of one kind of piracy, energy provision, monopolies, etc., and new ones enter the back door at an ever increasing rate.

my particular bugbear is mobile phone companies who can hold you to ransom on a contract, yet 'ethically' breach it endlessly themselves with poor service and endless price increases, which ultimately you cannot then say no to!

Give me an island, a bag of seeds, and a bow and arrow!