British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I recently bought a new 2017 Tom Kitten 50p however upon inspection it appears to be a mint error. It appears that on the front with Tom Kitten the queen is appearing through from the back (her nose appears on the left of toms face and her crown above toms head) and on the back with the queen you can see toms ears above her head. I have heard it could be ghosting or clashed die? Could anybody give me any advice on this? Apologies for pictures was hard to show up in natural light. The coin itself is brilliant uncirculated encapsulated as shown in the pictures 

IMG_8768.JPG

IMG_8767.JPG

IMG_8766.JPG

Edited by Rebeccawalmsley
Couldn't put pictures on

It is called ghosting .The displacement of the metal when struck can show the design on either sign of the coin .Its normally caused by there being more metal on the raised design and the metal on the fields being thinner .Its simply the metal distorting when the coin is struck .Was common on the early George v pennies ,till they changed the design .I have seen quite a few of these on facebook forums ,so they probably are not a rarity .Its also possible that if its a design flaw ,that they all might have a bit of ghosting   to some degree.

Edited by mick1271

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Is it not just a die clash ?.

Yes. :)

It's caused during the striking process when the two dies clash together without a blank planchet in between. Part of the design is then transferred to the opposing die. Subsequent coins struck will then have a faint impression from the other side, as yours does.

In modern production this is likely to affect large numbers of coins so I don't think you could class it as rare. 

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Is it not just a die clash ?.

Never even thought of it being a die clash .There are so many of them ,floating about the FB forums that I wrongly thought it was a ghosting design flaw .The last few years ,the RM's  quality control has been nearly non existant .

Die clashes should not occur in the production of modern coins. The event is rare, but the coins affected won't be.