British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Very Small Unknown Coin

Hi All

Trying to find out more about this tiny coin I have. It has what looks to me like a very crude elephant and people on one side, but maybe wrong. It is only approx 9 mm in diameter and looks to be bronze. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated. Thanks

Unknown Coin 2.jpg

I don't have my books to hand but I would guess Indian Subcontinent or Sri Lanka/Ceylon 18th or early 19th century. Each State has its own name for small coins like this - including Fanams. It will be a search through Krause to nail it down I fear.

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

I don't have my books to hand but I would guess Indian Subcontinent or Sri Lanka/Ceylon 18th or early 19th century. Each State has its own name for small coins like this - including Fanams. It will be a search through Krause to nail it down I fear.

Think you are definitely right about India, Paddy. Trawled through Krause 1600-1900 so far without any luck, looking  at India and all its sections. Will have to have another look to see if I have possibly have missed it. 

I can't help Brian, but if you post it here you'll almost certainly get your answer. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I can't help Brian, but if you post it here you'll almost certainly get your answer. :)

Still waiting to be accepted onto the page. Will let you know what I find out. 

Fully agree with MrBE on WoC for your coin. I have a feeling that it may be a debased Bull & Rider jital, which would probably put it a way before 1600.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2017 at 9:02 PM, bhx7 said:

Think you are definitely right about India, Paddy. Trawled through Krause 1600-1900 so far without any luck, looking  at India and all its sections. Will have to have another look to see if I have possibly have missed it. 

When I said "Indian Subcontinent" I meant that quite widely. You will need to include Afghanistan and maybe a few other countries in the area. Good luck!

Did you have any luck Brian?