British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

groat grabbing

groat grabbing time  ;0)

12240475_10153097773861020_5307306562825789648_o.jpg

• Like 2

Nice one - the Explorer II is or was the perfect machine. I started out with the XS around 2000 then bought the II when it first came out. Only got about 2 years of detecting with it until I had to stop but bloody ell it's a good machine if you get the settings right. I found some good stuff too and thankfully I still have everything down to the last button. I think the problem with the hobby is that most people start out with a cheap machine and then get sick of never finding anything or always digging iron. Always buy the most expensive detector you can and in the case of the Explorer II if you haven't made your money back (find value) in a month give it up cos' you're rubbish!

Dave

• Like 1

I bought a Garrett 400i and I am pleased with it so far. The Iron audio is a nice feature. No exciting finds yet but I have only done about 40 yards of a 7 acre permission :)

• Like 1

I discriminate the iron out on mine completely. Old horeshoes and nails. I did my share of digging those in the 70s / 80s with an old c-scope. Completely turned me off detecting altogether that did. Took me 25 years to give it another go. 

Edited by Ukstu

18 hours ago, Flash said:

Nice one - the Explorer II is or was the perfect machine. I started out with the XS around 2000 then bought the II when it first came out. Only got about 2 years of detecting with it until I had to stop but bloody ell it's a good machine if you get the settings right. I found some good stuff too and thankfully I still have everything down to the last button. I think the problem with the hobby is that most people start out with a cheap machine and then get sick of never finding anything or always digging iron. Always buy the most expensive detector you can and in the case of the Explorer II if you haven't made your money back (find value) in a month give it up cos' you're rubbish!

Dave

i've just bought an xp deus, no where near as deep as the explorer II which i've had for over 10 years now, doesnt seem to pick up the smaller bits as well if at all, but the dues is a sharp light machine to use 

The 400 was picking up a piece of iron wire about 6mm in length and no bigger than 1m width at a depth of abut 4" last week. I couldn't work out what was causing it to go off until I got the Carrott into the clod and found that tiny bit of wire.

45 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

The 400 was picking up a piece of iron wire about 6mm in length and no bigger than 1m width at a depth of abut 4" last week. I couldn't work out what was causing it to go off until I got the Carrott into the clod and found that tiny bit of wire.

I have the Euroace which is under the 400. There is a feature on mine where you can stop the machine alerting you to any iron objects. You can see the machine flash it up on the display but it makes no alert tone. I just use that rather than dig iron . I do occasionally run the machine in all modes but it can go mental on some fields that are trashy with iron junk. 

I'm new to this so at the moment I am digging every signal. The 400 has iron audio. So it 'grunts' if it thinks the target is iron. I can discriminate iron out if I want to. 

Aye i hear ya. Its just me. I got so cheesed off digging rusty nails and horse shoes and cuts of rusty barb wire on the earlier machines i don't bother with it anymore. 

Don't rely on the iron mask too heavily until you're really familiar with the machine. It was the only discrimination I used but it's a very fine line as it will also mask small silver and other interesting signals as well if you don't get it absolutely precisely right. Also weather conditions, ground type and proximity to overhead power lines all affect how iron mask gives or doesn't give a signal. At least on the Explorer anyway. Some times you're actually listening for a variation in the type of non audible signal.

7 hours ago, Flash said:

Don't rely on the iron mask too heavily until you're really familiar with the machine. It was the only discrimination I used but it's a very fine line as it will also mask small silver and other interesting signals as well if you don't get it absolutely precisely right. Also weather conditions, ground type and proximity to overhead power lines all affect how iron mask gives or doesn't give a signal. At least on the Explorer anyway. Some times you're actually listening for a variation in the type of non audible signal.

I agree entirely. I run my Explorer II with virtually no discrimination, and rely on the tones and crosshairs position as the indicator in digging, and have had many hammies to over a foot. The other machine I use (of the ten or so I have) regularly is a cheap Golden Mask 4, very sensitive indeed to the tiniest silver coins. These two are very complementary.

Jerry

• Like 1

On 8/9/2017 at 10:40 PM, jelida said:

I agree entirely. I run my Explorer II with virtually no discrimination, and rely on the tones and crosshairs position as the indicator in digging, and have had many hammies to over a foot. The other machine I use (of the ten or so I have) regularly is a cheap Golden Mask 4, very sensitive indeed to the tiniest silver coins. These two are very complementary.

Jerry

run my iron mask at -14,    just a little touch, love my explorer 2, dunno how the etrac compares or the ctx3030