British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Last Nights Sixpence

was 10 pm as i was walking of the field last night in the Moonlight, love them last signal on the way back to the car hammy's,   nice Sixpence of Elizabeth I, Mint mark is not clear, Went back this morning but no luck, there's always this evening though ;0)

20616002_10154595188731020_1497501885657265499_o.jpg

20645555_10154595188706020_1714134839785837336_o.jpg

• Like 3

Nice find! ?

This is bust 5A with rose 18 which, luckily for you, isn't a combination presently known with the ermine mark, leaving only Acorn or eglantine, which UNFORTUNATELY for you share the same devices for their reverses (lis 41, lion 62, etc., etc.), which makes them impossible to separate without finding a die match

So, in view of that fact, and that I can't see this being anything other than a 73, you have a 4th coinage 6d with Acorn or Eglantine PM.

Close, but no cigar, so one die eliminated.

c1801-1573 over 2 6d acorn over ermine.jpg

• Like 1

Elizabethan coinage for some strange reason never seems to command the same prestige as the other Tudors, despite being arguably a classic and clearly lengthy period of the dynasty.

I personally love it, and your rarer acorn coin, Rob, must ride extremely close to being one of the best about...at least I haven't seen one (since you first presented it on here) that I've desired more!

a beautiful, beautiful, coin! Now you've inspired me to take a cursory look for a die match! I'll switch the antiquated old dell on later and take a look! :-)

• Like 1

What a messy Acorn, Rob...only just picked up, because of this thread, that the Ac/Er is only known (so far) on the straight date 73! Be interesting to get a close up look at the Rose for any Rose over, because your coin has to be a good candidate for Ac/Er both sides?

Excuse the bits  - colour picture, hopefully better for checking. Acorn over ermine on the reverse only.

152 - Copy.JPG

• Like 3

And the reverse. There is a clear ermine under the acorn on this side. There is also a curve behind the top half of the 3 better seen in hand, which was a good match for a 1572 reverse die. Unfortunately that was 6 or 7 years ago and I've no idea where the pictures are now. I'm not referring to the area to the right of the 3 which looks like a 2, but is a rotated shield top and something else.

If you want an alternative image it is Bole 1471, DNW 89, 29/9/2010.

153 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Was just responding when wife came in from a stressful late shift in ITU! Tomorrow it is then! :-)

Such a lovely coin! 

Fabulous coin Rob! Ignoring the rarity of the mm over-strikes, just a gorgeous coin, about time I concentrated on Tudor silver again

Not sure about the overdate, but agree with the single obverse PM, which is correct for rose 18 anyhow. 

The lions and lis (62,41, respectively) don't rule out a '72 die, but I'm going for AC-2A:a which is actually the rarer of the known pairings for the acorn anyway! ?

On 16/08/2017 at 9:17 PM, Coinery said:

Not sure about the overdate, but agree with the single obverse PM, which is correct for rose 18 anyhow. 

The lions and lis (62,41, respectively) don't rule out a '72 die, but I'm going for AC-2A:a which is actually the rarer of the known pairings for the acorn anyway! ?

It could be a trace of a former die. Top right corner of the shield has the remnants of a shield above with the square top showing even through the lower part of the 3, but the profile doesn't match the existing shape being too curved at the side and at the wrong angle relative to the top, which in any case isn't straight. I can't see any double striking elsewhere, so one for the pending tray methinks.

Edited by Rob