British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
dppepperpot

Elizabeth 1st sixpence 157? 5 over 4

20170804_145115.jpg20170804_145115.jpgHi all, new to the forum. Found this hammered coin whilst metal detecting, and noticed an error on the date 5 over 4 Is this common or unusual.  Thanks for looking

Edited by dppepperpot

Overdates and die sinkers errors i think they are called are not terrible unusual. I've a few hammered with letters over letters. Not sure if it adds value to them. I asked a similar question years ago on another forum and was told it happens , sometimes people where working under candle light in low natural light environments so mistakes could be made , add in illiteracy and possibly a few beers to the mix and mistakes are bound to occur. I've a few early milled also with overdates (James II).  One of mine. Letter under the A in Cantor.

2017-02-24-13-35-26.jpg

Edited by Ukstu
Image added

Hi ukstu, thank you for the information. 

• Like 1

Your welcome. 

• Like 1

Guest guest

And old dies were used until they broke wherever possible, so at the year end, the date would be recut. The same would happen with the initial mark changeover

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

And old dies were used until they broke wherever possible, so at the year end, the date would be recut. The same would happen with the initial mark changeover

Thanks for that. Never thought of that. Makes sense. Thats a more likely scenario for an overdate. ?

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Nice clear example of 5/4 

looking at the top of the lions and breaks in the shield I'm guessing this is a sixpence?

whether a sixpence or 3d, both are well documented with 5/4, and with the Eglantine being one of the most prolific marks of the reign it's not rare. However, it's great to have unambiguous examples of these overdates...great find, can we see the full coin?

OK, just reread the title! So, a sixpence, meaning a BCW reverse die EG-e