British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mick1271

EWARDUS REX halfpenny

I have an Edward halfpenny ,London mint with the obverse legend EWARDUS REX .I can't find any info on it ,and I was wondering if this was a debased continental copy .I doubt I will be able to put any pics up ,but I might try and scan it if needed .Didnt cost much ,and its not a great grade , but I do like to be able to put a label to these things .

16 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

I have an Edward halfpenny ,London mint with the obverse legend EWARDUS REX .I can't find any info on it ,and I was wondering if this was a debased continental copy .I doubt I will be able to put any pics up ,but I might try and scan it if needed .Didnt cost much ,and its not a great grade , but I do like to be able to put a label to these things .

Is that the correct spelling as there's a D in EDWARD

2 hours ago, azda said:

Is that the correct spelling as there's a D in EDWARD

yes , no D  .Thats why i'm thinking a continental copy.

quite crude lettering as well .will try and add pics,if I can get clear enough ones .its not a great condition as it is ,but it is clear EW with no D .

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Hoping I havn't wasted my £2.64 on it LOL.

s-l1600.jpg

Don't worry ;) It is a scarcer type of Edward III halpenny class XVIb. 

In his book Lord Stewartby records two variants for the legends : Ewardus and Edwadus 

Edited by Matteo95

1 hour ago, Matteo95 said:

Don't worry ;) It is a scarcer type of Edward III halpenny class XVIb. 

In his book Lord Stewartby records two variants for the legends : Ewardus and Edwadus 

thank you , wouldn't have bothered me if it was a continental copy , but that's even better .I know its not the greatest of conditions , but for £2.84 ,I can't complain 

Guest guest

Looks to be a slightly earlier strike than this one. Withers 7b

EWARDVS REX HALFPENNY.jpg

• Like 1

They are not normally what I collect,but I do like to trawl ebay picking up cheap unidentified detector finds to try and work out what they are .This one though ,had me stumped .will need to pick up a copy of a decent edward hammered book .

2 hours ago, mick1271 said:

They are not normally what I collect,but I do like to trawl ebay picking up cheap unidentified detector finds to try and work out what they are .This one though ,had me stumped .will need to pick up a copy of a decent edward hammered book .

I thoroughly recommend Christopher Wren's books: "The Short Cross Coinage 1180-1247" and "The Voided Long Cross Coinage 1247-1279" both are available for no more than £12 brand new. Of course, no good for anything after Edward I but invaluable for the early stuff. 

7 hours ago, mick1271 said:

Try this website it may be of some use.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/Long-Cross-Pennies/Long%20Cross%20Pennies%20P1.htm

Guest guest
On 03/08/2017 at 8:39 PM, mick1271 said:

Hoping I havn't wasted my £2.64 on it LOL.

22 hours ago, mick1271 said:

thank you , wouldn't have bothered me if it was a continental copy , but that's even better .I know its not the greatest of conditions , but for £2.84 ,I can't complain 

Keep posting, it will soon be worth £3.04

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I thoroughly recommend Christopher Wren's books: "The Short Cross Coinage 1180-1247" and "The Voided Long Cross Coinage 1247-1279" both are available for no more than £12 brand new. Of course, no good for anything after Edward I but invaluable for the early stuff. 

I do like a good coin book .It sounds just what I need .