British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

Thought i had purchased a half decent set of 1902-1910 halfcrowns until...

London coins has been a company which I've never sold anything through. I did look at there sale prices the other week, and thought to myself that they seem to get top dollar for their coins. I may send some coins off to them sometime and see what results I get. 

The same seller i purchased the date run of halfcrowns from also has a 1902-10 date run of florins. But there's not a lot of value there, unless he will take a lowhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1902-1910-Edward-V11-collection-of-florins-inc-RARE-VF-1905-/162603574886?hash=item25dbeda666:g:mfIAAOSwvVFZdkz~ offer. 

They're respectable - all Fine apart from the (common)1902 which looks nearer VF. The 1905 is NOT rare!

Do my eyes deceive me, or is his 1909 another 1907?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

They're respectable - all Fine apart from the (common)1902 which looks nearer VF. The 1905 is NOT rare!

Do my eyes deceive me, or is his 1909 another 1907?

No eye deception, Peck. It's definitely another 1907 ! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, declan03 said:

I like that guy Derek you mentioned Paul. Though granted, yes, i agree that all the letters should be visible for fine. I was a wee bit exuberant with the tag fine, nearer Michaels vg or nf condition. 

Declan, over the years since I bought Derek's book, I've slowly come to the conclusion that he is slightly generous in his assessments. Still a good book, nonetheless. Almost, but not quite a bible, to be honest.

I'd estimate your 05 to be VG, your 03 as fine but battered, and your 04 as a nice straight, problem free fine. Given the rarity of the 05 (and don't forget the 03 & 04 aren't exactly common, being both sub million mintages), you weren't done by paying what you did for the Edward VII date run.  

I agree with Peck's estimation of F/NVF for the LCA 05 halfcrown. I also agree that they are very conservative with their grading.   

• Like 1

Yes  i have purchased coins from him before 1949threepence. He is a good seller and very reasonable with his prices. Pity about the 1903 but i,m more than happy with the good ones i picked out of the run. I did notice he has a 1902 proof set for over 1k. I might ask him to take better pictures for a better look as they're quite grainy.

Who is Derek? This book sounds interesting and are there still copies for sale?

18 hours ago, declan03 said:

London coins has been a company which I've never sold anything through. I did look at there sale prices the other week, and thought to myself that they seem to get top dollar for their coins. I may send some coins off to them sometime and see what results I get. 

The same seller i purchased the date run of halfcrowns from also has a 1902-10 date run of florins. But there's not a lot of value there, unless he will take a lowhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1902-1910-Edward-V11-collection-of-florins-inc-RARE-VF-1905-/162603574886?hash=item25dbeda666:g:mfIAAOSwvVFZdkz~ offer. 

No saIe at the BIN price so the set has now been listed for auction. Declan, if you're considering them do note, as already mentioned by Peck, this set is not VF.

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Yes  i have purchased coins from him before 1949threepence. He is a good seller and very reasonable with his prices. Pity about the 1903 but i,m more than happy with the good ones i picked out of the run. I did notice he has a 1902 proof set for over 1k. I might ask him to take better pictures for a better look as they're quite grainy.

Who is Derek? This book sounds interesting and are there still copies for sale?

Derek is Derek Allen - posts on here as "Red Riley", although I've not seen him around for a very long time. The book is called "Grading British Coins" and is still available. If you look at the "e pub" notifications at the top of the page, there are a row of books. Derek's is the third one along. Failing that, it'll be on Amazon.

• Like 1