British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

Thought i had purchased a half decent set of 1902-1910 halfcrowns until...

Ouch!!

20170802_175817~2.jpg

And the obverse!!

20170802_175825~2.jpg

That coin had some life!

• Like 1

Its more battered than bruised!!

Is that the only bad one out of the set?

Had the damage been concealed in the seller's photos?

Two or three iffy ones but at the price of £660 for the set which included a fine 1905 which i was after, i cannot complain. The poor 1903 plummeted in my expectations though.?

What grades are the other coins in? If the 1905 is truly Fine, then I'd say you haven't done too bad. Without the dents that 1903 would probably fetch around £250 so you could say perhaps £100 or so with the knocks.

• Like 1

At least the one your really wanted is ok, you can always upgrade the others

• Like 2

Well as fine  a 1905 as i will get without breaking the bank and the other half breaking my neck!! The rest vary in my opinion from at least fine to very fine.

Heres the 1905 Kris.

20170802_132930~2.jpg

Obverse

20170802_133000~2.jpg

A niceish1904 halfcrown 

20170802_133050~2.jpg

Obverse.

20170802_161510~2.jpg

If compared with the attached, which was graded as Fine by LCA, I would suggest your 1905 is nearer VG?

img-1.php.jpeg

img.php.jpeg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Well as fine  a 1905 as i will get without breaking the bank and the other half breaking my neck!! The rest vary in my opinion from at least fine to very fine.

Heres the 1905 Kris.

20170802_132930~2.jpg

Bit short of Fine as Michael says, but I'd be quite happy with that. :)

• Like 1

Yes, I don't think the 1905 you bought is fully fine either, but I don't think you did all that bad for the lot as a whole, it depends what grade you want as 'keepers'

• Like 1

Derek's a bit more forgiving in his book though:

Half crown Fine.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Derek's a bit more forgiving in his book though:

Half crown Fine.jpg

There is no way I would grade that 1904 HC as Fine from those pics, I think all the lettering should be visible for Fine? And it should be irrelevant how rare the coin is. Happy to be contradicted ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

If compared with the attached, which was graded as Fine by LCA, I would suggest your 1905 is nearer VG?

img-1.php.jpeg

img.php.jpeg

Nice coin...how much did it sell for Michael?

I like that guy Derek you mentioned Paul. Though granted, yes, i agree that all the letters should be visible for fine. I was a wee bit exuberant with the tag fine, nearer Michaels vg or nf condition. 

10 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

img-1.php.jpeg

img.php.jpeg

I'd say that was London Coins being excessively cautious. If I were a seller, I'd say "Bold F/NVF" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Nice coin...how much did it sell for Michael?

Hi Declan,

Its about half way down this page:

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Halfcrown+1905+Fine&searchtype=1

Peck is right IMHO, their grading can be over cautious at times. Comparing book value with hammer price realised for some of these half crowns suggests bidders also considered grades assigned were lower than they should have been.

I think your 1905 is hovering around the near fine mark. Considering you bought the full set for £660 you did well.

• Like 1

Yes, that London Coins 1905 sold for £800 - and another (which they described as Good Fine, but which to my eyes is minimum VF) sold for £1400 ! As Michael says, collectors are more savvy than to take auction grades at face value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Yes, that London Coins 1905 sold for £800 - and another (which they described as Good Fine, but which to my eyes is minimum VF) sold for £1400 ! As Michael says, collectors are more savvy than to take auction grades at face value.

Agreed. The £1400 coin only Good Fine? Nah.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Paulus said:

no way I would grade tha t 1904 HC as Fine from those pics, I think all the lettering should be visible for Fine? And it should be irrelevant how rare the coin is. Happy to be contradicted ...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder