British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

argentumandcoins

Interesting article re 1954 Penny

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, Bernie said:

If you were comparing £9K in 1969 with house prices, It would be more like £750K now !

As a matter of interest Bernie, how much were they asking for the Edward viii penny back in the 1960s  ?   Terry

22 hours ago, secret santa said:

But that's what it feels like with the pennies I want - just look at those Lavrillier 1933 pennies......

So many seem either unavailable or just out of reach for me. I suppose patience is the key. 

21 hours ago, copper123 said:

I could not see the 1954 coin fetching much more than £60 000 now so I surpose in investment terms its a lemon

Given that a 1933 made the equivalent of £151k last year, I can see the 1954 fetching a lot more than £60k - 1933 penny at 2016 auction 

sorry chaps - duplicate post. Posted to get rid of as the above won't clear from my PC, and I want to post again.  

2 hours ago, Leo said:

Perhaps that is the same one of the article.

Freeman gives it R20, 'unique', but maybe one or two more escaped the melting pot completely unnoticed... Otherwise they would have popped up in auction, surely?

I think there are two. One held privately, with residual lustre, and one held by the British Museum, without. I think this is the one held by the British Museum, which would be consistent with Chris's remark that it was plucked from circulation. It doesn't look as though there is any residual lustre on it:-

1954_1d_tony_clayton.png

This is the one held privately. Clearly has some residual lustre on it:-

1954 penny coin news Jan 92.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peckris said:

As Neymar's price has just been quoted as £200m, he should be easily able to afford that!

Yes but I doubt he recieves that amount of money to spend, hes is just sold for that amount - A pig sold for pork to a slaughterhouse recieves nothing does it not - in fact it surely would regret being sold wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Yes but I doubt he recieves that amount of money to spend, hes is just sold for that amount - A pig sold for pork to a slaughterhouse recieves nothing does it not - in fact it surely would regret being sold wouldn't it?

Poor Neymar is only reportedly to be on £500,000/week IF the PSG deal is ratified by La Liga.

In a world where approx 3/5 of his countrymen live in tin shacks that is just fecking obscene!

5 minutes ago, argentumandcoins said:

Poor Neymar is only reportedly to be on £500,000/week IF the PSG deal is ratified by La Liga.

In a world where approx 3/5 of his countrymen live in tin shacks that is just fecking obscene!

They said £750,000 this morning!

18 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Laughable if it wasn't so immoral.....that and the tax evasion as well, oh, and signing on fees, merchandising, goals, assists, wins etc etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Out of interest what year did it sell for £24K ?.

1991 Pete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Mind boggling :huh:

6 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Mind boggling :huh:

Isn't it though. He though.afford a 1933, 1954 and 1952 penny from one week's wages.

7 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Isn't it though. He though.afford a 1933, 1954 and 1952 penny from one week's wages.

Indeed. Although it is slightly comforting to know that not even vast wealth can obtain privately held extreme rarities, if the current owner isn't willing to sell.   

• Like 1

hes a FOOTBALLER  they spend their money on pu**y and cars dont they?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Sounds good and good luck to them :)

What is ridiculous is Colin Mcgregor who could end up with £100 million for a sport he has professionally never done before and will end up a complete farce.

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Yes and they waste the rest :lol:

• Like 1

It also appears there are some "uniface" 1954 pennies at the British Museum - presumably reverse only and a blank obverse. The writer from Chard says he has actually seen and handled two himself. He also says that there are 6 in total, two with the BM and "others" with the Royal Mint. What he doesn't say is whether he saw a complete1954 penny at the BM. 

1954 Pattern Pennies

As in many years, no pennies were needed for circulation, for example, no pennies were minted from 1923 to 1925, so none were produced or issued for circulation.

In 1954, the Royal Mint were still trying to solve the problems of ghosting, and they continued to produce a number of experimental designs. A small number of these were tested by striking coins, pennies, from the experimental die designs. As these were not intended for circulation, they were never issued. Some of these are "uniface", that is they are single-sided, the opposite side remaining blank. The writer had personally seen and handled two such coins, at the British Museum Coin Room, about 20 years ago.

This type of coin, not intended for circulation, is usually known as a "pattern" coin.
Only about six pieces were produced in total, two belong to the British Museum collection, others are in the Royal Mint's collection.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, copper123 said:

What does a footballer need with putty? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

What does a footballer need with putty? :lol: 

Moonlighting as a glazier in case the other job doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IanB said:

Moonlighting as a glazier in case the other job doesn't work out. 

Couldn't that be a real pain (pane)?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It also appears there are some "uniface" 1954 pennies at the British Museum - presumably reverse only and a blank obverse. The writer from Chard says he has actually seen and handled two himself. He also says that there are 6 in total, two with the BM and "others" with the Royal Mint. What he doesn't say is whether he saw a complete1954 penny at the BM. 

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

He failed to mention two in the Queens collection and one used as a coin weight to govern Big Ben.:D

18 hours ago, Bernie said:

He failed to mention two in the Queens collection and one used as a coin weight to govern Big Ben.:D

The queen does not collect coins ,. that hobby ended in the thirties whe george V was hit hard by the stock market crash and had to sell up

Her sons and daughters seem to collect broken relationships

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

The queen does not collect coins ,. that hobby ended in the thirties whe george V was hit hard by the stock market crash and had to sell up

Her sons and daughters seem to collect broken relationships

I thought that Prince Philip still had a large collection - am I wrong?

I was of course being a bit flipant with the above statement - its a load of bu***hit

If philip has a large collection it prb someone close who gave it too him for tax reasons if you know what i mean.

His crown jewels are well in order according to the palace royal corespondant (Or is that william I am thinking about)

If it is any help in muddying the waters, I was shown a penny dated 1954 a few years back which allegedly came in a parcel bought from a lady. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the claim and the coin did not show any obvious sign of manipulation under a glass. However, as a penny which was not available to purchase and not having the references to hand at the time it is impossible to confirm the dies were right.  When I enquired about 3 years ago, nothing had been done with it.