British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

What do readers think of the new 2017 Britannia in proof - they went with a totally different design featuring the body of Brit as the outline of the island. Head of Brit alright IMO, but the body, well, that takes some getting used to?

Also there are a bunch of 20th anniversary bullion Brits: the "regular", the trident privy marked variety, the roost privy marked variety, and the charioteer resurrected (ala 1997 & 2009). The latter may only me available from ONE distributor (?!). I think goldco.com or some such.

9 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

What do readers think of the new 2017 Britannia in proof - they went with a totally different design featuring the body of Brit as the outline of the island. Head of Brit alright IMO, but the body, well, that takes some getting used to?

Not seen it - do you have a picture?

Could potentially be quite interesting. e.g. Do we have the twin peaks of Scafell Pike, or is it a case of Scafell and Great Gable with one bigger than the other. The other obvious feature must be the enormous backside that is East Anglia, which means that Britannia is sat on a correctly placed London :) Things could be a lot worse.

The design hasn't gone down to well, rays coming out of her arse etc.......Terrible IMO

Screenshot 2017-08-01 16.11.51.png

I think it would work much better with her facing left

She appears to be taking a dump on Wales.......perhaps the designers in Llantrisant were making a pointed comment ??

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

She appears to be taking a dump on Wales.......perhaps the designers in Llantrisant were making a pointed comment ??

Jerry

Apparently he is a student, but for a 20th Anniversary and 30th for gold it was really disappointing

The designer https://csmbajewellery.wordpress.com/2017/08/01/student-louis-tamlyns-britannia-coin-launched-by-the-royal-mint/

Edited by azda

Ooo, that's a bit grim. :(

It's interesting but I agree that it isn't particularly aesthetically pleasing.  The current standard design is rather nice IMO, this one is probably only for the completist and/or those taking a punt on its resale value.

looks bleeding awful, who would pay 46 k for 30 ox gold coin 

I just don't see the necessity of changing the design every year - there must be commercial reasons to do so but it degrades the brand, particularly with infantile designs like this one, which looks rushed in.

Silver eagles, silver maples, etc don't change.

I loved the 2001 Philip Nathan's design though.

On 1 August 2017 at 3:13 PM, azda said:

The design hasn't gone down to well, rays coming out of her arse etc.......Terrible IMO

Screenshot 2017-08-01 16.11.51.png

Bloody Brexiteers - they get everywhere. :lol:

• Like 1

She does seem to be leaving Europe behind, well maybe heading to Norway.

I definitely think the designer was making some sort of political statement with the design which obviously the numpties at the RM never picked up on. If this was the best design put forward, i'd hate to have seen the other contenders 

Edited by azda

On 8/1/2017 at 0:06 AM, Leo said:

I just don't see the necessity of changing the design every year - there must be commercial reasons to do so but it degrades the brand, particularly with infantile designs like this one, which looks rushed in.

Silver eagles, silver maples, etc don't change.

I loved the 2001 Philip Nathan's design though.

I think the reason being is that having the same design can be off putting to people who buy the coin every year, would be really boring looking at the same design year on year for silver bullion. American Eagles are another in this mould, but they do change the China panda OBV every year

The 2014 Brit was one of my favourites along with the original 1997

Edited by azda

Truly awful design. Looks like a woman doing a mad dance with a dust bin lid.

This was designed by a first year university student. The new £1 coin was designed by a 15 year old boy. Invest in some professional designers please!

• Like 1

Not an attractive look... While modernism has a place in numismatics, this misses the mark. 

Precisely the reason why i don't collect modern coins. Thats hideous. Bolts of lightening shooting out her backside while she craps on wales. That small island  appears to be a cloud of gas escaping from her backside which is shaped like a childs drawing of a cock and balls. Whats she reaching round for? Toilet paper ?

• Like 1

I second/third/fourth...the "hideous" comment.  Absolutely dreadful.

Aye, it's grim. One thought though chaps, if it fails to sell in great numbers it could well be the next decades Kew Gardens, just a thought!