British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
scotsman

KING GEORGE THE IIII 1822

Hi I was wondering if I can have some opinions on this coin ? it's on eBay guy asking £230 I was thinking of making an offer of £200.What would you grade it ? and of course in this age of fakes what's your opinions of the coin I'm far from an expert but looks ok to me! and lastly value? in your valued opinions thanks in advance Vic.

yh.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I looked at some of the sellers items recently and although i dont know anything about silver some of the bronze looked cleaned :)

Maybe thats ok .....What do you think ?.

Looks like VF to me but the edge knock between 5 and 6 o'clock on the observe is serious. The edge looks a bit dodgy at 8 o'clock too (and there is a dig on the neck too).

Personally, I won't buy coins with such edge problems.

I agree. With the various edge and dig problems, it's only a Good Fine for me - albeit a nice colour. But it is certainly genuine.

Value though only £100 tops for me; if you've got two hundred spare, you could get a much nicer one, I feel.

I thought this coin may have been cleaned in the past PWA. and the edge damage was putting me off to Sword so I might just wait. I've been watching a few coins for a couple of days now and I'm not that impressed with the quality. I only have £200 to spend I know but I want the best I can find.

Thanks for your input Martin ill wait and look around more.

I'd say VF too, but the edge knock is worrying. I'd not offer £200 for it. That series is by no means rare. You'll find a better one. Admittedly it was over 10 years ago, but I picked up an EF for £220. The Spink value is a bit OTT.

Edited by Peckris