British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

Is this Spanish 8 Reales ok?

1. 20170725_121811~2.jpg

web_thumb_021.jpeg

web_thumb_021a.jpeg

Sorry about the 1703 1st picture. I could not get rid off it in the listing for some reason. I am going to a small market this Friday and this Spanish 8 Reales is for sale. I,ve read there are a few fakes of these coins. Is it real and what sort of price would it be worth?

Thanks again.

Difficult to tell from the small photo, but it looks a bit too good, a bit too bright. Having said this, a nice grade example dipped would produce the same effect.

Thanks for your quick response Dave. Sorry about the small pictures, i copied them from the market thats selling it, then posted them on here. The market is on this Friday 28th July. Maybe some other members will give me their opinion as well before then. Yes, it did look a bit bright as you said David, thats why i was after information. 

You'll know whether it is real or not by checking the ring, weight and edge. Should be about 27g, silver rings lower than cupro-nickel or white metal etc and the edge will be the usual circles and squares. Looks too good to be on a market stall and in any case, why would a market advertise individual's coins? Seems strange.

It does look too bright. If it's a real one, its value will be greatly reduced by a harsh cleaning.

In my opinion the bust does not look right, but the photo is very small res to be sure. Get some high quality photos of Mexican 8R from that series and make sure it matches it.

Most fake 8Rs fail at matching the edge design, which is an intricate chain of a motive that overlaps at two positions on opposite sides of the coin.

In any event, the 1775 Mexico F.M. is a very common one.

The coin in question is at Frasers auction market, Dingwall this Friday. Just had another look at their site and there also appears to be a 1713 Queen Anne crown fake listed amongst other coins. As i said, sorry about the wee pics but there are bigger pics on the Frasers website.

I've looked at the larger images on the site, and though I'm always happy to be proven wrong etc. etc…..

It could be that its a badly polished coin badly photographed, but the surfaces don't look right to me.

http://www.frasersauctionroom.co.uk/current_sale

Edited by Michael-Roo

From the surfaces shown in the website photograph, I'd say this coin is as bent as a nine-bob note. Don't touch it.

Here's the website http://www.frasersauctionroom.co.uk/current_sale

Any different opinions - its lot 130. Unless of course, its water damage, in which case still don't touch it.

Edited by DaveG38

Says all you who are putting in a phone bid!! Haha!! What about the other lot of 6 coins with what looks like a fake 1713 Queen Anne crown? Maybe as bent as that sea trout they are selling as well?

Thanks guys for your words of wisdom and for getting the frasers link on here. I am kinda hopeless on computers!!

Yes the 8R is fake.

Lot 174, if the two American were real it would be a few grand!

22 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

From the surfaces shown in the website photograph, I'd say this coin is as bent as a nine-bob note. Don't touch it.

Here's the website http://www.frasersauctionroom.co.uk/current_sale

Any different opinions - its lot 130. Unless of course, its water damage, in which case still don't touch it.

Oh dear.

I'm not sure why they accept lots they know nothing about as they are ultimately liable for the description. If there are a few lots with obvious copies, then steer clear of everything unless you know better. Given the 8R and the Anne, it would be a fair bet that the G4 crowns are also iffy.

Thanks Rob for backing me up on the Queen Anne.....there has also been another lot listed with 2 x 1822 crowns, these look dodgy as well. Would anyone agree?

All of them look iffy. I would not personally buy any of them. Think I'll swerve them in the future. Whoever's doing valuations there needs sacking. 

Its a farmers market buddy. They sell mostly cattle and have an auction of household goods most Fridays. They, as far as i understand,  don't have a professional on hand for coins. Its a place i will visit next week while i am on holiday. I,ve been there a few times and managed to get a couple of bargains on coins before, coins i have been 99% sure of anyway. Whoever put these lots in seem to be from the same person, by the way they are packaged, except for the 8 Reales. It would have been nice if it was genuine though.

As well as the Anne I see lot 174 also includes a fake Cromwell.

• Like 1

Lot 127.....i think the fourpence is real ?

Farmers market. Sounds similar to my local one in Clitheroe but Silverwoods do the evaluations there usually apart from the car boot ones. 

Edited by Ukstu