British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
argentumandcoins

Halfcrown and Penny LCA unsolds

I have just received a 'bun' penny I bought at a well known USA auction site, with a hammer of $180.

By the time I could get the UPS guy to hand it over I worked out that the total cost including auction fees, their excessive postage, customs charges, and additional UPS fees for helping (!) me pay the customs charges worked out at around £240 (yes £, not $).

I am pleased to hear that Mike got the 1874 F69. I was watching the bun pennies getting 'passed' by so quickly that I missed this coin (which was the only one I wanted),

Sorry John, enjoy the whiskey.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Hmmm...so I've just had my invoice e mailed from PFK, and the total cost was £508.00.

According to the e mail reply regarding the enquiry I sent a few days ago, and shown upthread, the hammer price of £400.00 would incur an additional charge of 20.4%. Therefore, £400.00 + 20.4% = £481.60. So I'm thinking, hang on a minute, unless there's something I've not been told, the figure supplied is mathematically incorrect, since postage and packing for a single coin by tracked next day delivery, aint going to be £26.40 (the difference between £481.60 and £508.00) 

I rang PFK on the number supplied and the guy I spoke to said there was indeed an additional £20.00 charge for dealing online, which of course, wasn't previously explained. Never mind.

Hidden charges eh? You've got to watch these people like a bloody hawk. 

----- Original Message -----
To: 
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 3:59 PM
Subject: Penrith Farmers' & Kidd's PLC - payment request

Penrith Farmers' & Kidd's PLC
The Skirsgill Saleroom

Skirsgill
Penrith, Cumbria
CA11 0DN
United Kingdom
+44 (0)1768 890781
Penrith Farmers' & Kidd's PLC
Fine & Rare
05 - 10 Aug | Live Auction
Following your successful purchase(s) at Penrith Farmers' & Kidd's PLC, the following sum is now due for payment. If you have any questions please call Penrith Farmers' & Kidd's PLC on +44 (0)1768 890781.
Amount due 508.00 GBP

Pay Now >
Please add The Auction Technology Group info@the-saleroom.com to your address book.
Metropress Ltd, (t/a The Auction Technology Group) Registered in England No. 1010311, Registered Address: 65 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0HR, United Kingdom, Tel: +44 (0)203 725 5500
The Auction Technology Group

It's usual for salerooms to add a 3% surcharge for using the saleroom.com (Hansons actually charge 5%) as there is a substantial outlay to be paid by the auction house to Saleroom.com. That would add £12 to the total and I suppose if they are cgharging £14 for SD postage that's a damn sight cheaper than using Mailboxes.com. If the 3% tinternet fee was already included I don't have a clue where the additional fees come from.

1 hour ago, argentumandcoins said:

It's usual for salerooms to add a 3% surcharge for using the saleroom.com (Hansons actually charge 5%) as there is a substantial outlay to be paid by the auction house to Saleroom.com. That would add £12 to the total and I suppose if they are cgharging £14 for SD postage that's a damn sight cheaper than using Mailboxes.com. If the 3% tinternet fee was already included I don't have a clue where the additional fees come from.

It's not the actual cost, John - overall I've got this coin at a considerably lower price than I ever would have envisaged - it's simply another case of upfront costs just not being properly explained on initial enquiry. Simon told me about the 20.4% buyer's premium, which in itself wasn't clear on the website, but he failed to tell me about the additional cost for buying over the internet.      

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

I have just received a 'bun' penny I bought at a well known USA auction site, with a hammer of $180.

By the time I could get the UPS guy to hand it over I worked out that the total cost including auction fees, their excessive postage, customs charges, and additional UPS fees for helping (!) me pay the customs charges worked out at around £240 (yes £, not $).

I am pleased to hear that Mike got the 1874 F69. I was watching the bun pennies getting 'passed' by so quickly that I missed this coin (which was the only one I wanted),

Sorry John, enjoy the whiskey.

Thanks Ian. It's a belter, so not surprised you wanted it as well. The F69 is scarce enough to begin with, so there can't be too many better than John's. An EF example went at the Freeman Auction in 1984, but I've not actually even seen a pic of one in EF. This is easily the best I've seen. Gouby says there's one in "EF+".  

You're right about the auction speed. It was moving extremely quickly, especially by auctioneer No 2, who was fairly racing through them. 

Sorry to hear you had to pay over the odds for your purchase from the USA. Would it be impertinent to ask what it was? 

12 minutes ago, secret santa said:

This is the one you've heard about. A beauty that I'd love to own.

1874H F69.jpg

Thanks Richard - absolutely superb.

Is that the one from the Freeman sale do you know?

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Ian. It's a belter, so not surprised you wanted it as well. The F69 is scarce enough to begin with, so there can't be too many better than John's. An EF example went at the Freeman Auction in 1984, but I've not actually even seen a pic of one in EF. This is easily the best I've seen. Gouby says there's one in "EF+".  

You're right about the auction speed. It was moving extremely quickly, especially by auctioneer No 2, who was fairly racing through them. 

Sorry to hear you had to pay over the odds for your purchase from the USA. Would it be impertinent to ask what it was? 

Hi Mike, the USA coin is an 1879 MS63 F96, pictures attached, cropped pictures to best utilise 500MB data limit availability. Still think I should be well pleased at price I have paid, but somehow no longer feels like a bargain!

I find this variety quite difficult, and have rarely seen in high grade.

F96 Obverse.jpg

F96 Reverse.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

Hi Mike, the USA coin is an 1879 MS63 F96, pictures attached, cropped pictures to best utilise 500MB data limit availability. Still think I should be well pleased at price I have paid, but somehow no longer feels like a bargain!

I find this variety quite difficult, and have rarely seen in high grade.

F96 Obverse.jpg

F96 Reverse.jpg

Nice one Ian. At UNC grade, £240 total is still a bargain for an F96.

Edited by 1949threepence

Still not received my won lot. When I paid on the Wednesday evening 9th August, the guy said he hoped it would be with me on Friday 11th before 1pm. Nothing. When I rang Monday 14th, the lady said she would try to get it out to me that day - still nothing.

Off work today and still nothing, although it's not quite 1pm yet. 

Must give them another ring....... 

Not good at all.

I know they're short staffed at the moment but still.....

Guest Alexs

hello

you can help me?

I'm stumped with one little gold rings and I can't find any info on it.

it has St George 1937 slaying a dragon on one side & two lions holding a cross on the other side.

Is this rings of some value ?????

Thanks

20170720_131019.jpg

20170720_131033.jpg

20170720_131019.jpg

20170720_131033.jpg

20170720_131019.jpg

20170720_131033.jpg

20170720_131019.jpg

20170720_131033.jpg

20170720_131019.jpg

20170720_131033.jpg

20170720_131019.jpg

20170720_131033.jpg

Guest alex
Just now, Guest Alexs said:

hello

you can help me?

I'm stumped with one little gold rings and I can't find any info on it.

it has St George 1937 slaying a dragon on one side & two lions holding a cross on the other side.

Is this rings of some value ?????

Thanks

20170720_131019.jpg

20170720_131033.jpg

It looks like the logo of the east india company on one side. Can't help with value as i don't know what it is. 

2 hours ago, argentumandcoins said:

Not good at all.

I know they're short staffed at the moment but still.....

Well better news, John. I e mailed them and asked what the position was, and Liam e mailed back apologising. He said it had been posted today, and gave me a tracking No. So with a bit of luck and a following wind, it should arrive tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Now arrived, John - very pleased. Going to post in the "Penny acquisition of the week" thread, where it's fully deserving of a spot.   

On 8/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, argentumandcoins said:

I will thanks Mike.

My next step is another sale (probably Tennants if I can negotiate a 0% rate with Rodney, Jane or Jeremy). Perhaps I may return them to LCA with a free hand for them and take a massive hit.

I will remove the F21 and hold it for you until you are ready to take it Mike.

Collected it from the Post Office today John. Thanks for a very fair price. I know it's not the best F21 out there, by any stretch. There are some crackers on Richard's rare pennies site, but being such a rarity, it's certainly good enough for me. Now means I've got 11 of the 1861 Freeman varieties.

Incidentally John, when is the Tennant's sale you mentioned in your e mail? There are still one or two others I'm interested in. 

Freeman 21 rev.jpg

Freeman 21 obv.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
Added a bit

59 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Collected it from the Post Office today John. Thanks for a very fair price. I know it's not the best F21 out there, by any stretch. There are some crackers on Richard's rare pennies site, but being such a rarity, it's certainly good enough for me. Now means I've got 11 of the 1861 Freeman varieties.

Incidentally John, when is the Tennant's sale you mentioned in your e mail? There are still one or two others I'm interested in. 

Freeman 21 rev.jpg

Freeman 21 obv.jpg

The old boy would be pleased to see it in  a good home Mike! 11 isn't bad going as some of them are really hard to find in any state.

Tennants is TBA (they are contemplating a stand alone sale rather than including it within another coin sale). I didn't get my 0% rate so there won't be any flexibility on reserves. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, argentumandcoins said:

The old boy would be pleased to see it in  a good home Mike! 11 isn't bad going as some of them are really hard to find in any state.

Tennants is TBA (they are contemplating a stand alone sale rather than including it within another coin sale). I didn't get my 0% rate so there won't be any flexibility on reserves. 

Cheers John. I'll look forward to it.

Bad luck on not getting the 0%.

• Like 1