British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Johnshan

Hammered Pennies

Hi, I've been trying to find the official weight of Saxon and Norman pennies but without success.

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks  

It varies.

For Saxon pennies, North unhelpfully states 'Probably several standards' based on the wide divergence of weights without giving an opinion. Blunt, Stewart & Lyon suggest a figure of 24 grains for Alfred's later coins, reducing gradually to 20 grains by the time of Eadgar's reform. There are regional variations in the observed weights from different areas, so maybe North's statement is as close as you can get. Later Saxon average weights also vary across large sample populations, so it is likely that either any existing standard wasn't adhered to, or the weight of pennies reflected the economics of the time. I don't have the answer.

There are two pairs of figures which might be significant. Both Aethelred's LSC and Edward the Confessor's Expanding cross have light and heavy issues, the heavier of which is on average 50% higher. That seems awfully convenient and may be accounting related. Could it be related to the Mark? I'm not sure when that was introduced as an accounting tool, but the pound and mark are in the same 3:2 ratio.

For Norman pennies, Hawkin (p.7) gives a figure of 22.5 grains for William I. North (p.257) gives 22 grains for William II to Henry III

Edited by Rob

Very helpful Rob, it gives me a figure guide to check my coins, basically between 20 to 24 grains (1.3 to 1.5 grams)

Thank you

The average weights quoted in North from the start of Cnut to the end of Edward the Conf begin with 22 grains before dropping to 16 to 18 for much of the ensuing period to EdC expanding cross before regaining ground to 21 grains at the end of EdC (though facing bust/small X is an outlier at the lower weight). I don't think this necessarily accurately reflects and equates to the presumed prevailing standard, but the drift in weights might be a reflection of the market value of silver at the time. I presume it has always been a commodity because it has a tradable value and even when used as the standard for the coinage, must have reflected the availability of not of the metal.