British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi, I've just registered on here and am hoping this maybe a very useful site for me in the coming months/years. My father sadly passed away in January at 78 years old. He collected British coins all his life, from pre-decimalisation right up until a couple of years ago. I haven't even started on the mountain of Pied Fort sets he bought from the Royal Mint yet, plus all the pots of old pre-decimal coins he had laying around. Anyway, in 2006 he bought a set of coins from the London Mint Office, which he soon realised was a load of rubbish, & fortunately never went near them again. What I'd like to know is, what can I do with them..?? Queen's 80th Birthday Crown Set, probably incomplete. He stopped buying as soon as he realised he was throwing money away. Would anyone buy them..?? Can I sell them for scrap silver (.925)..?? Any help appreciated & thanks.. :)

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum.If you list what you don't want we can give advice on selling,advice is free and friendly :)  I suspect ebay will be be and outlet.You did make me grimace with "pots of predecimal" this needs sorting before untold damage occurs.The modern stuff will probably not go up or down over the short term.

Whereabouts are you? There are a few dealers on here spread across the country, so you might find someone near you to help. You will get an honest appraisal. I will declare a vested interest here - I'm in Manchester, but obviously not necesssarily the closest. Argentum is in the North-East and there are a number down south who you could be directed to. Chris, the forum owner is also a dealer but lives in Germany, so it might be a while before he visits, but he is otherwise in the SE London/Kent area.

Hi, Thank you for the welcome & comments. I'm in East Kent, about as far South East as you can get (not much rain..!!). Yes, I've found a few pots or buckets of old pre-decimal coins. I guess Dad just kept tossing them in the pots everytime he got one in those early days..?? He has literally collected Royal Mint sets as far back as I can remember, through the 70/80/90's & are all just boxed up, probably since he bought them. (he never displayed anything). Initially I'm just wondering what to do with this London Mint Office crap, scrap it..?? I shall share the other stuff on here later when I get to unbox it. Thanks People.. ?