British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

Cope and Raynor Errors?

Just looked up a 1683 fourpence in Cope and Raynor First Edition 1975, and glanced at the opposing page (p13) which is concerned with Charles II halfpennies. I notice that there is mention of a 1679 copper halfpenny, plus 1684 and 1685 tin halfpennies as well. I'm guessing this is a mistake especially as the 1684 is shown as 1654. What I find curious is that the page is titled 'HALFPENNIES (copper and tin)' which kind of suggested that there should be some tin halfpennies of Charles II.

The second thing is that it may simply be that the halfpenny page is a copy of the farthing page and nobody noticed the error, but the rarities quoted for the tin farthings are not the same as those quoted for the tin halfpennies, and the date of the 1684 farthing is 1684, not 1654, suggesting that somebody did consider this when the book was written. I can't find reference to any tin halfpennies of Charles II in Peck, so does anybody know what the situation is? Was there a later edition of this book which corrected the errors, if that's what they are?

It has to be a mistake. I don't know what the printing technique used at that time, but if it was a case of assembling words in blocks and dropping them in, then it would be normal to pull out farthings and drop halfpennies into the vacant spots.

There was only one print run.

I agree with Rob.

Still a useful book though!

Thanks for this. As you say, a useful book. I just wondered if I had somehow missed something regarding Charles II halfpennies, athough I guess if Peck didn't find anything then I'm not likely to have done.

I'm very fond of this book, but yes there are errors. The one that always makes me laugh is a total error of judgement : look up the rarity of 1923 halfcrowns, then read the comment next to 1925!

48 minutes ago, Peckris said:

I'm very fond of this book, but yes there are errors. The one that always makes me laugh is a total error of judgement : look up the rarity of 1923 halfcrowns, then read the comment next to 1925!

Nice one. I hadn't noticed that comment.

• Like 1