British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

richardine

Queen's Beasts: Some Questions

Dear all,

I've heard about these coins recently and was really excited about it. Yet some facts remain unclear, and I'm looking for the answers. 

Firstly, it's obvious that there is a gap in the number of different coins minted (from 125 to 1000 or even unlimited). How can it be explained and what factors are touched?

Secondly, can't really grasp why the websites give discordant facts about the mintage of a particular coin. For example, here they say that the coin is available in quantity of 600, but on the official site it is the number of only 350 that has been mentioned.

I would also like to know if there exists any collector who can clarify things about the order of mintage concerning the proof and bullion versions. It would be really nice and helpful. 

Could you please give me some details or point towards any resources where I could find the necessary info? 

I am profoundly grateful in advance.

Think i would just phone the royal mint and ask them if not the person who answers just ask to be transfered.

Atleast that way its a start and should you have to put your questions in an email you should get a reply :) .Although i dont have a clue about Queens beasts i have phoned previously with a couple of questions  and they have been really helpfull.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Think i would just phone the royal mint and ask them if not the person who answers just ask to be transfered.

Atleast that way its a start and should you have to put your questions in an email you should get a reply :) .Although i dont have a clue about Queens beasts i have phoned previously with a couple of questions  and they have been really helpfull.

Thanks a lot, PWA 1967. 

Think it would be one of my next steps :)

Mintage would be taken from what the RM say and not what a 3rd party reseller states. The order of the beasts between the bullion and proof versions are out of sync due to royalmintbullion, the RM mint are the more numismatic side of coins and the bullion the bullion side. The royal mint wanted to mint the beasts in order of England, Scotland, Ireland and then Wales and the rest to follow however, the bullion side of it decided to do what they wanted and minted however they chose.

Edited by azda

Another factor is that the different proof coins are released in different formats: singly, in sets of different sizes (e.g. three coin sets, five, with other denominations, in different packaging). So while there may only be 350 released singly, there may be another 250 released in different combinations. 

Thank you, azda and VickySilver.

Your answers helped a lot!

Still wonder about the order they are going to give us the remaining coins in (I mean, when the line England-Scotland-Ireland-Wales will be ended) and the reasons why they kind of mixed the unicorns and the lions, but it seems they just prefer to be a little bit mysterious. 

Edited by richardine