British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Secondhand resale

what are peoples feeling on the secondary resale of modern royal mint proofs, you can pick up silver £5 for around £15, i picked up the queens 60th proof piedfort for £35 quid on an aution website a few weeks back 

Edited by craigy

The secondary market (eBay etc) is the way to go for most modern RM proof coins and sets (if you like that sort of thing!)

Very few fetch a premium on what the RM originally charged, most go for much less

Perhaps wait untill the next LCA you can buy them by the box full.

The average annual RM proof sets go for around half Spink value - or less - at auction.

Some of the more recent stuff is making stupid money IMHO.

The hype around the Kew 50p has sent the 2009 proof set prices through the roof (typically in excess of £200 in salerooms). The 2010 sets onwards are all fetching good money too. As a dealer I worry that the new collectors are focussed entirely on the tat that RM produce each year and real coin collectors are dropping off. Just my opinion based on observations.

3 hours ago, argentumandcoins said:

Some of the more recent stuff is making stupid money IMHO.

The hype around the Kew 50p has sent the 2009 proof set prices through the roof (typically in excess of £200 in salerooms). The 2010 sets onwards are all fetching good money too. As a dealer I worry that the new collectors are focussed entirely on the tat that RM produce each year and real coin collectors are dropping off. Just my opinion based on observations.

at the turn of the year ,the 2009 sets were going for nearer the £300 mark .I sold mine a few weeks ago for £215 ,which was still a decent mark up from the £39.95 I paid RM for it .The prices are dropping slowly , but the demand still seems to be there .I agree that new collectors don't seem to be able to see past the modern shiny commemorative coins .I am admin on a coin group on FB ,and have had a few discussions with so called experts about the investment value and so called rarity of the decimal commemoratives .I cant possibly see how a kew gardens 50p ,of which all are still available and 99% are in high grade can maintain a £65-75 price .Especially when the 1992 EEC 50p with half the mintage and a large percentage  have been withdrawn from circulation are only selling for £55 .

• Like 1