British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bagerap

Possibly Tetricus I

This is only a tentative ID, any help appreciated although it's a lousy image.

10 mm, 0.6 gr.

5l9e84.jpg

It's been almost a year since this was posted, and still no replies, so I'll take a shot at it. By the way, I don't think the images are "lousy" but rather entirely adequate for the purposes of identification.

Size & weight below what you'd expect for a genuine coin of the period, plus the legends look pretty much like gibberish to me.  Therefore I'd judge this to be barbarous. Such counterfeit antoniniani were often modeled on issues of the Gallic Emperors. so if any resemblance of the effigy to Tetricus wouldn't be remarkable.

• Like 1

Yes - looks very much like a Barbarous copy to m and the portrait of Tetricus is likely to be the source. In fact I have this one on Ebay at the moment, which bears quite a lot of similarities.

Barbarous Radiate 1 Red.JPG

Barbarous Radiate 2 Red.JPG

Certainly barbarous, though I think this one might be modelled on a later coin, as it doesn’t appear to have the radiate crown. Possibly the model was from the house of Constantine.

Jerry

18 hours ago, jelida said:

Certainly barbarous, though I think this one might be modelled on a later coin, as it doesn’t appear to have the radiate crown. Possibly the model was from the house of Constantine.

Actually, its diminutive size suggested that to me also, but I'd then be thinking of an even later period.  By the beginning of the fifth century, some issues of the western empire had gotten nearly this small. As for radiate or not, I see some "pointy" things there that may be rudimentary attempts at such. It's really hard to tell one way or the other.

I am pretty certain its not a official roman issue

46 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I am pretty certain its not a official roman issue

I've always found it an interesting convention, though, that the coinage of the Gallic emperors and other (even the most transient) usurpers is considered to be so, and as such consequently cataloged on an equal footing..

Just for comparison's sake, here's a genuine Tetricus antoninianus of mine. Its dimensions are 19 x 17.5 mm, with the weight coming in at 4.3 grams. I have it as RIC V 127.

TetricusAntobv.jpgTetricusAntrev.jpg

• Like 1

I have one very similar