British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
declan03

Fake kew gardens 50p

Hi.

Has anyone recently seen the amount of fake or copy kew gardens are on sale on ebay just now? People are paying top dollar for these coins which can be picked up at any car boot sale for £1. Its against ebay policy to sell fakes so why is the place riddled with them amongst others!! Only yesterday i seen one being sold at auction, obvious fake, but wait for it...in some homemade slab!!  Sitting at £81 when i seen it plus i noticed there had been 8 enquiries about it (obviously people telling him it was fake).

Well, i seen red and fired in a bid of £110 to make sure i won the coin. I then never paid for it and politely informed the seller it was a fake and would like to cancel the sale. He did reluctantly cancel it saying he never had a clue it was fake...yeah right!!

Maybe this is the way to beat the scammers if we could get more people on board.

• Like 1

Spoken about this before and I've considered doing it myself but if it was done frequently you'd probably get a freeze on your account if someone lodged a complaint.

I think its something we are all just going to have to accept is going on and ebay will not address it. 

I don't think there is any quick fix solution to this unfortunately without ebay support its pointless. 

I've stopped getting frustrated by it now. I just occasionally post the silly ones on here under eBays worst offerings. Just continue to report them , thats as much as we can do. Boycotting eBay will not work the numbers would be that small it would be like throwing a deckchair off the titanic. 

• Like 1

yup the fakes are going for £40 and they are sold as copies, unreal 

• Like 1

Look at the bidding history on these. It looks like somebody's doing what you did declan. ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122598565708

Thanks Ukstu. That guys listing and info gave me a laugh!! He has actually changed his mind in the listing and now claims they were found in a tin in a garden shed!! I do like the hammered coins but i could not tell if they are fake or not. By the description would i be right in thinking they are fakes?

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Thanks Ukstu. That guys listing and info gave me a laugh!! He has actually changed his mind in the listing and now claims they were found in a tin in a garden shed!! I do like the hammered coins but i could not tell if they are fake or not. By the description would i be right in thinking they are fakes?

Yes there both WRL reproductions . I msged him about this he told me it was "old crap in boxes" he was getting rid of. His words not mine lol. I told him that was an accurate description of them but he never got back to me. 

He's had 12 inquiries , most I suspect are people telling him there reproductions but he's denying they are. Also two of the bidders who ran it up have now retracted bids. It was at £728. I suspect that was done on purpose to put people off bidding. 

The guys a scumbag. If i wasn't selling stuff on ebay I'd win them myself then refuse payment. His attitude to its F-U there not replica coins mind your own business. Sent all those 3 pictures below to him on Tuesday or Wednesday. He's fully aware of what he's selling. 

2017-07-19-00-08-30.jpg

2017-07-19-00-09-15.jpg

2017-07-19-00-11-29.jpg

Edited by Ukstu

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

The smaller coin (penny I guess) has WRL clearly on show, so nobody should be fooled. The larger coin is overlapped by the smaller making me suspicious about what is underneath the overlap. My money would be another WRL.

• Like 1

Yes that was what omega_2 attitude was when i told him the shilling was fake....had the nerve to call me a bleedin conman!! As for those 2 hammered coins Stuart.....gosh do i need glasses!! Thanks for pointing these out to me. Learning every day!!

• Like 1

Yeah he said i was trying to fool him. Predictable. Same line all the time when they are confronted.  I'll just have to start playing dirty in future and bidding on them. I doubt ebay will reprimand me. Whose going to bubble themselves to ebay to complain about someone backing out of buying a prohibited item! 

• Like 1

Just now, Ukstu said:

Yeah he said i was trying to fool him. Predictable. Same line all the time when they are confronted.  I'll just have to start playing dirty in future and bidding on them. I doubt ebay will reprimand me. Whose going to bubble themselves to ebay to complain about someone backing out of buying a prohibited item! 

I've often thought about that. "Sorry, it was a genuine bid but I've since been advised these are fake." What's the worst that could happen? :unsure:

• Like 2

Exactly. Cover all the bases if its a blatant WRL replica . Download his images highlight the WRL stamps include them in an email with eBays policy on replica coins and stamps and an apology lol. They will have to relist. Maybe someone else will do it again. Its one way of tackling it or slowing it down. What can eBay do if they are confronted with the evidence? Reprimand the seller not the buyer. Your well within your rights. You could even mention trading standards , fraud police etc. Just don't contact the seller while the auctions running or report the item then it looks like a genuine bid followed by a moment of enlightenment ?

Edited by Ukstu

Given that eBay are doing nothing.  Why not escalate and report it using the ActionFraud website, making sure that you mention that eBay are aware and have done nothing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Problem with that is some sellers block people who have not paid for an item previously with any seller.

So should you genuinely wish to buy something after you wont be able to with some sellers unless ebay lift it,if you have done it more than three times i am led to believe it stays.

Just read that again and hope it makes sense :D

• Like 2

Thank you both for that. I never thought about that PWA 1967. Thanks Nick i will try that website , its got to worth a try. ?

Everything looks 'not right' about that, e.g. the obverse lettering. It could be a Chinese-made item clearly intended not to be taken as genuine. 

Guest Heavy T

The danger about bidding an excessive amount not paying is the seller could simply offer it to the unsuspecting second highest bidder and get paid well for the fake coin. Plus you could end up with a non-payment strike against you. 

could it be worth complaining to BBC Watchdog? I'm sure eBay would do something about fakes if they got bad publicity through this platform.