British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JACGW

Large Bag of 1967 Half Pennies

I discovered this box in my grandfathers attic and decided to open it and take a look.

Inside was this bag of half pennies, it was delivered to the bank which my late grandfather was a manager of so I can only imagine it was one of their last deliveries before decimalisation was introduced.

Does anyone know what this would be worth?

Thanks in advance 

Melt value. There are countless bags of 1967 coins of all denominations lying around with probably millions of coins still sitting there.

• Like 1

Just now, Rob said:

Melt value. There are countless bags of 1967 coins of all denominations lying around with probably millions of coins still sitting there.

Thank you for your reply Rob. I presumed that was going to be the case!

In a way it would be good if the mint would take them back as it is surely an alloy mix they use to this day, but if you tried to cash them in at the BoE then you would only get face instead of their intrinsic value.

i bought a tube of 1965 pennies, love them :D

P1010544.jpg

Mint-sealed bags of many dates in the 60s (most denominations) were commonly advertised in the late 60s. Although these were sold between 1.5 and 5 times face value, their value slumped after 1971 and are still so common that they will never realise much more than face value, or intrinsic metal value.

1967 being the last year of predecimal coins is not relevant - all coins minted from 1967 to 1970 carried the date 1967, so they are among the commonest of all coins.

Edited by Peckris