British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Replica Coins on Ebay

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/currstamps.html

After a little digging on Ebay.co.uk I found the above link. which may or not work. . However if you go to this page from Ebay it outlines the Ebay rules for listing 

replica coins and in essence it says that replica coins are not allowed on Ebay unless the item marked to show it is a replica in a way such as it cannot be removed ie stamped on the coin.

Simply describing the item as a replica copy etc. is not allowed under Ebay rules. Having said that it does not mean Ebay checks items for this and suggest that people on this forum alert Ebay

of replica items that are listed that do not comply with their guidelines. Maybe they may get the message that Ebay should inforce their listing rules..We live in hope.

• Like 1

Well, how about that.  And all this time I've only been reporting the unstated ones, rather than the unmarked ones.  Excellent :) I'm a serial reporter already, and now I'm going to be much more prolific!

• Like 1

That eBay policy is not new.  I can't believe that eBay will start taking any notice of reported items, whether replica, fake or otherwise dodgy.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

I'm sure you're right Nick, but it leaves me feeling a little better.  Otherwise I end up just muttering under my breath when I see one :)

Thats just lip service to cover there backs and make it actually look like they are doing something. There actions say otherwise. Alot of us are serial reporters , me included. I've not seen anything pulled this year that I've reported other than stuff I've guilt tripped sellers into removing with moral advice. 

What would be required would be an orchestrated and publicised boycott for a short period, say a month.  If eBay saw a massive drop in listed items in a particular category, they would be all ears.

But it's not going to happen, so everybody that uses eBay (not me) will just have to suck it up.

Replicas, fakes, forgeries ... it's a grey area. 

To take 1933 pennies as a single example. There is a replica (of sorts) which varies so much in essence from the original design, that no-one with any numismatic knowledge or experience would be taken in for a moment. They aren't stamped, but I wouldn't grumble if eBay enforced their removal, as a total newbie could be taken advantage of, and they are available elsewhere. 

But what about genuine Geo V pennies that have been expertly altered so that the last digit is a 3? If sold as a fake, people seem prepared to pay a few hundred quid for them, knowing them not to be the genuine article. It would be a shame if eBay removed those too, even if the description clearly stated it was not a genuine 1933.

For a while I was buying in Wreath Crowns etc from China and selling them as copies on Ebay. To comply totally with regulations I had a custom handstamp made reading "Copy" this was hammered deeply into both sides. I actually thought I was doing some good and highlighting the problem but ebay received complaints regarding my listings so they shut them down.

I'm curious now as to how eBay defines a "replica".  

For example, CoinCraft has manufactured Fantasy coins for years.  These are not "replicas" in the definition I go by, because they do not replicate any coin that actually exists.  They are Fantasy Coins or Novelty Coins.  They are becoming more and more collectible, and the two largest TPGs in the USA (NGC and PCGS) will happily put them in plastic for you if you so desire.

Fantasy coins for the most part are Edward & George double florins which never existed as coins minted as legal tender so probably do not qualify as replicas. As for 1952 & 1933 pennies most people are aware that these coins are rare as rocking horse #### and very unlikely to be genuine but should be marked as copies. My real problem is with copies of circulation coins that are not marked as copy/replica although described as such being sold on Ebay etc  and then being offered as genuine by a third party seller which have the potential to deceive. I have to say I am very reluctant to bid on George 111 and Victoria YH halfcrowns because of this.