British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Yup. Left ticket (which looks grey to me and written in fountain pen) looks like Comber's writing to me too.

Thanks for that :)

Interesting…why would he write two for the same coin?

15 hours ago, Coinery said:

Thanks for that :)

Interesting…why would he write two for the same coin?

Is the other (neater hand) ticket not John Jerrams? Or am I confused?

14 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Is the other (neater hand) ticket not John Jerrams? Or am I confused?

No these are the tickets that belonged to an earlier sale, before J.J. purchased it to sell, I got confused with me pictures 😬

The neater hand is agreed to be Comber (there’s a couple of other Comber tickets posted in recent days for comparison), so it’s now the left I’m curious about? Sorry for the confusion.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:24 PM, 1949threepence said:

Bill Pugsley?

yes, that's the man. We exchanged emails for a while and I thought the book was imminent but I've heard nothing for over a year.

9 minutes ago, secret santa said:

yes, that's the man. We exchanged emails for a while and I thought the book was imminent but I've heard nothing for over a year.

He often used to post on various facebook coin groups, but I haven't seen him for a very long time. Well over a year.

So this (larger one) is Chris Comer, Stu?

large.2106167874_WalterWilkinson(claimed)Baldwins(MichaelSharp).jpg.7db1a4d5a61728b19ff03689eaf6ce24.jpg

5 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

So this (larger one) is Chris Comer, Stu?

large.2106167874_WalterWilkinson(claimed)Baldwins(MichaelSharp).jpg.7db1a4d5a61728b19ff03689eaf6ce24.jpg

Looks like it to me :)

Cool. Thanks! I'll update my records.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Cool. Thanks! I'll update my records.

Have you the coin with those tickets, not a common 6d that?

13 hours ago, Coinery said:

Have you the coin with those tickets, not a common 6d that?

No, I just save any images of coin tickets I think might be useful later and this was one I spotted.
The other ticket is a Baldwins one in Michael Sharp's hand. Hopefully both are still with the coin. 

• Like 1

I'm completely green when it comes to old tickets, so any help appreciated. I've just bought a W&M 1693 Irish halfpenny and it has come with an old circular ticket, plus a paper holder. As far as I can judge the writing on these is from two different people, and I wondered if anybody can identify either or both of them. Any ideas? There was no clue from the vendors.

PC020146.JPG

PC020147.JPG

Edited by DaveG38

On 12/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, DaveG38 said:

I'm completely green when it comes to old tickets, so any help appreciated. I've just bought a W&M 1693 Irish halfpenny and it has come with an old circular ticket, plus a paper holder. As far as I can judge the writing on these is from two different people, and I wondered if anybody can identify either or both of them. Any ideas? There was no clue from the vendors.

PC020146.JPG

PC020147.JPG

I don’t know the answer to this, but do you think there’s a link?
One of the below tickets references Ffolks tables of English coinage, which I’ve been advised was an antiquated source by the mid 1800s? It’s been proposed that we should be looking in the 1750-1830 window for a collection with these hand-made tickets?

4A2914F8-55CB-46B3-9515-92CF2553B9A5.jpeg

DB9F575F-0A91-4FE5-83FA-D684FFA2C121.jpeg

Jon Mann collection ticket (as opposed to dealer)

Jon Mann Collection.jpg

Here's another mystery ticket well, four actually. It's the larger ones that are most of interest to me. The numbers at the bottom state the sizes of medals using the Mionnet scale. A now obscure system first publicised in 1804 and apparently out of use by the 1920s. Which hopefully dates the tickets themselves to early 20th century.

The smaller tickets are more recent, but I'm thinking 1950s 60s perhaps? The writing looks familiar, but I've just not managed to pin it down.

Two pairs of tickets, describing different medals, but from the same sale and collection.

Comments welcome!

2.jpg.d22212cd6bbeb6bd2b5ef5b1d4927d55.jpg2130543306_MI361-235Tickets.jpg.9723e26b33b0f60550540b7c223f61f0.jpg

Another pair of tickets from the same mystery source as above. The more modern, in the same hand as above.

The older is much more detailed than before (although, as far as I can see, the same hand) Usefully this one references the Numismatic Chronicle, thereby pinning down the date the ticket was written to between 1860 and 1880, the period within which the First series of the NC was referred to as the 'old series'. Similar use of Mionnet's scale as previously. The search continues..!

large.519395960_AndrewHowittJan20231860-80.jpg.d88f69c1adb5d2178ce4090eaa3abd38.jpg

Anyone recognise this handwriting please? For a medallet the collector bought from the Spink Circular in 1998, so active then (and possibly until recently).
Medal collection so maybe a long shot but ..  Thanks!

Unknown.jpg.055495dafacdaaba878c9dbabf5479b6.jpg

What’s the thoughts? Chris Comber in biro, rather than his blue ink fountain pen, or someone else?

IMG_9413.jpeg

IMG_9415.jpeg

IMG_9414.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Coinery said:

What’s the thoughts? Chris Comber in biro, rather than his blue ink fountain pen, or someone else?

IMG_9413.jpeg

IMG_9415.jpeg

IMG_9414.jpeg

I would say there are enough points of similarity despite the lack of a colon after ‘mm’.

Jerry

• Like 1

Comber. The style matches this one which refers to both Shuttlewood and Wilkinson. 

img041.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Quick question: what does RCB refer to from the 40s?

Also, a useful document, that I’m sure you’ve all seen before, so forgive me, I’m simply sharing it here to log it for myself :)

https://www.britnumsoc.org/images/BIOGRAPHIES/6_Coin_Tikts/Coin-Tickets-Main-List-008.pdf

Possibly Raymond Carlyon-Britton (died April 1960), son of P.W.P.?