British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just as an addition: the ESC numbers are yet a third hand - neither of the others uses a continental 7.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Just as an addition: the ESC numbers are yet a third hand - neither of the others uses a continental 7.

Very well spotted Holmes🧐

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

9 hours ago, Diaconis said:

Very well spotted Holmes🧐

It could be 2 different hands from the same dealership.

I did consider the ticket could be say an S&B as they used tickets with a line at the top, albeit usually on yellow tickets. But their stock items were usually coded with either an E, G or M prefix.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:35 PM, Rob said:

Patience. You need to find something matching the ticket info and the Bulletin listing. There is always a chance that the coin in question never made the Bulletin, especially if it was a good example with a ready buyer. The ticket in question has 45/- on it, but that would mean looking for other examples in the market between 1949 and 1959.

Rob,

I guess my ex. Carlyon-Britton didn’t make it to the Seaby bulletins, no matches in codes with descriptions , some descriptions matched down to mm but pricing was often out or code bore no resemblance. Couldn’t find a combined match. It’s also not a particularly good specimen that would indicate a ready buyer.

I’ll check C-B auction catalogues, father and son, could it have been handed down? P.W.P. C-B tickets are different and not sure if  R.C cross-referenced inherited pieces on his tickets (as the Boyds), ‘No.XI 460’ perhaps? or more likely his own tray reference id.

12 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

Rob,

I guess my ex. Carlyon-Britton didn’t make it to the Seaby bulletins, no matches in codes with descriptions , some descriptions matched down to mm but pricing was often out or code bore no resemblance. Couldn’t find a combined match. It’s also not a particularly good specimen that would indicate a ready buyer.

I’ll check C-B auction catalogues, father and son, could it have been handed down? P.W.P. C-B tickets are different and not sure if  R.C cross-referenced inherited pieces on his tickets (as the Boyds), ‘No.XI 460’ perhaps? or more likely his own tray reference id.

The ticket says Seaby 1962 ex RCB, so it isn't worth looking outside the 1959-62 range for a listing. The stamped numbers were only used on the last collection as far as I am aware. Bear in mind he sold his second collection through the Bulletin a decade before and then started again. It is possible he retained a few, though these are likely to be lost in the thousands he had. I suppose it is possible he could have taken back any unsolds from the second collection.

I think the XI 460 is his cabinet reference.

What is the coin?

31 minutes ago, Rob said:

What is the coin?

thanks Rob,

it’s a James I laurel, mm trefoil. Originally mentioned as trefoil  on ticket but later struck through and noted incorrectly as lis.

15 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

thanks Rob,

it’s a James I laurel, mm trefoil. Originally mentioned as trefoil  on ticket but later struck through and noted incorrectly as lis.

In that case it could have come from PWP. After he sold his Saxon he collected gold and these were sold to Baldwin c.1938. Pulling out a couple random offerings - from the Bulletin in Feb 1941, a VF/gVF laurel was 72/6, and in the Jan 1943 Circular, an EF one was 5 guineas. 45/- would therefore be about right for a lower grade example, say approaching VF.

Anyone recognise the handwriting on this ticket ? Not getting any information beyond the provenance from it myself, but I'm a novice at this. 

00ticket.JPG

00ticket2.JPG

• Like 1

Assuming it refers to THE and not a Brian Dawson, then it should be relatively recent. Bear in mind Brian came from Bolton, so a home town interest.

• Like 2

Ex Baldwin's fixed price list, summer 2011.

info on the ticket appreciated.

IMG_E2140.JPG

IMG_E2141.JPG

3 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Ex Baldwin's fixed price list, summer 2011.

info on the ticket appreciated.

IMG_E2140.JPG

IMG_E2141.JPG

The first side is self explanatory, the second if it is a Baldwin ticket would list the people the coin had been offered to and may include the person from who it was acquired. I suspect FM43023 is the source from which it was acquired, but can't think of anyone or any sale it could refer to. 762 would then be the number of the Baldwin client to whom the coin was offered. But it's possible it was 762 the coin was acquired from and FM..... was something else like a stock number?

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:02 AM, Rob said:

The first side is self explanatory, the second if it is a Baldwin ticket would list the people the coin had been offered to and may include the person from who it was acquired. I suspect FM43023 is the source from which it was acquired, but can't think of anyone or any sale it could refer to. 762 would then be the number of the Baldwin client to whom the coin was offered. But it's possible it was 762 the coin was acquired from and FM..... was something else like a stock number?

Thanks Rob.

Unknown ticket, the seller could shed no light on it. Any thoughts appreciated 

20191115_122008.jpg

Those initials at the bottom are the best clue, but you'd have to follow it. On the other hand, perhaps it rings a bell with Rob?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Those initials at the bottom are the best clue, but you'd have to follow it. On the other hand, perhaps it rings a bell with Rob?

No, I had a look at it and it rang no bells

On 4/27/2019 at 10:40 AM, Paddy said:

I picked up two lots from the DNW sale on Wednesday - they arrived today. Here are the tickets that came with them - hopefully someone can tell me what these signify?

Tickets 1 Red.JPG

Tickets 2 Red.JPG

Late in the day, but isn't the right hand ticket one by Paul Dawson?

Anyone recognize this cursive script ? The price of 3 shillings appears to have been added later. Would appear to be a late 19th century or early 20th century hand. Not Cokayne or Batty. 

aticket.thumb.JPG.ecdc1ff3687f76e523aec9d7178651c4.JPG

I've had it suggested it is Joe Linzalone of Wolfshead, a US dealer. Can anyone confirm? 25mm card.

image.png.5fbe2050b39869018af1199673e89e94.png

Edited by Rob

Long shot, I know as it's an envelope not a ticket.  But anyone any ideas?  Cheers.

117906663_10223127816332472_5722611678013459149_n.jpg.45b5744b9f0b889ce4a28824fb11c0e6.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 4:04 PM, TomGoodheart said:

Long shot, I know as it's an envelope not a ticket.  But anyone any ideas?  Cheers.

117906663_10223127816332472_5722611678013459149_n.jpg.45b5744b9f0b889ce4a28824fb11c0e6.jpg

I'm going to hazard a guess and say nobody important in numismatic terms. 'Very Rare Ancient British Coin' suggests a person who doesn't know too much about coins given the numbers known even in the 19th century, though I suppose the individual die pair is probably relatively rare

• Like 2

Thanks Rob.  I did wonder if it was from a small museum collection or similar.  No 14 in a display of historical items maybe?  I guess we'll never know.  Though it's quite a nice example..

I recently acquired a 1703 Vigo sixpence and these tickets came with the coin. Does anyone recognise them?

VsnHXP.jpg

On 11/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, jaggy said:

I recently acquired a 1703 Vigo sixpence and these tickets came with the coin. Does anyone recognise them?

Looks a little like Alan Rayner's writing (post Seaby) but I can't be certain ...  @Rob?

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:
  On 11/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, jaggy said:

Looks a little like Alan Rayner's writing (post Seaby) but I can't be certain ...  @Rob?

Could be. I'm wondering when a Vigo 6d cost £2. What's the grade? The ticket style certainly looks Seaby-like with the fraction, so that would mean 1948 or later for Rayner.