50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.
Photo

Denmark 1947 10 Ore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter

Peter

handsome weee beastie

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Coins,fishing and British sports cars

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:42 PM

I have this coin in VF+.
When sweeping through Krause a while back I noticed it was quite rare ($125+ and probably a key date.)
It does nothing for me. :(

Any Danish collectors out there who can tell me why it is so rare...the mintage figures are not the lowest of the series?

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

Proprietor of Predecimal.com and Rotographic Publications

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts
  • Interests:Nummi gratia fori defensor

Well obviously British coins. Classic cars (mainly Triumph and other BL masterpieces of the 70s). Heavy old rock music from prog to metal (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Zep, Rammstein etc etc). I still fancy Kylie Minogue.

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:39 AM

I haven't looked, but knowing Krause they probably got the decimal point in the wrong place!

I have the same thing with a Panama coin, but it has to be an error, no one would pay $125+ for a VF 10 Ore, would they? :huh:

Chris Perkins
British Numismatic Trade Association (BNTA) Member.

Predecimal.com
Coins, accessories and Information.
Rotographic.com
Numismatic publications.

CCGB20143Dmini.jpg GBCsmall3d.jpg BECM3Dmini.jpgBICM3Dmini.jpgESH3ds.jpg RBM3ds.jpg RSC3ds.jpg  kindle_48.png epub_48.png

The Current Rotographic book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

#3 Geoff T

Geoff T

Important part of the furniture

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:Half crowns, copper farthings, commemorative medals. Classical music, architecture, languages, travel, cooking, wine...

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:23 PM

As an intelligent guess, 1947 was the year in which Frederik IX succeeded Christian X, which might have produced a limited run of C X coins.

G
<...and I know how to spell "definitely"

#4 mint_mark

mint_mark

Getting back into it!

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Astro-photography, history... learning anything new!

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:02 PM

It is probably the same situation as the British mintage figures... the figure shows how many coins were issued that year, not how many were minted bearing that date.

So, 1946 10 øre says 460000 and $8.50 unc whereas 1947 says 1292000 and $220 unc. 1948 was the new design for the new king. If most of the 1947 issued coins were minted the previous year that explains why the 1946 price is low... at some point in 1947 they ran out of 1946s to issue so they started minting 1947s, presumably expecting to use them into 1948.

The king must have died before they made many, or near the end of the year. They knew they would have a new design for 1948 so they stopped making 1947s and maybe even destroyed the unissued stock that had been made.

That explains why 1947s are scarcer then the figure suggests... and the high price shows that they must be very scarce indeed!

--
Mark