British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Short croos

my first full one, i have it down as Richard I the museum people said 4b john when it went of to be recorded     , Reinavd on cant 

ESS587928RichardIpenny.jpg

Edited by craigy
  • Like 1

I have the same one though mines 4a. I've always classed that degraded portrait with stubble as Richard. 

Edited by Ukstu

12 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I have the same one though mines 4a. I've always classed that degraded portrait with stubble as Richard. 

thats the class i gave it 4a,   not sure the finds liaison officer got it right, the amount of stunning cut halfs i've found on this particular field is unreal, always thought when a whole one turned up it would be just as stunning, was a bit disappointed tbh, still a nice coin though and happy to add to my collection 

The most recent book on the short cross coinage by Gerry Slevin marks 4b coins in Richards camp. My gut feeling when i saw it was the same , Richard immediately came to mind. I would personally mark it up as a Richard until someone can say otherwise with strong evidence. To me its a perfect example of a Richard coin , your very very lucky to find any Richards in good condition. Treasure it. 

2017-07-09-16-48-25.jpg

Edited by Ukstu
Added image.

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

The most recent book on the short cross coinage by Gerry Slevin marks 4b coins in Richards camp. My gut feeling when i saw it was the same , Richard immediately came to mind. I would personally mark it up as a Richard until someone can say otherwise with strong evidence. To me its a perfect example of a Richard coin , your very very lucky to find any Richards in good condition. Treasure it. 

2017-07-09-16-48-25.jpg

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

2017-07-09-16-48-25.jpg

i have the north book i use along with spinks and the little paperback books by Christopher wren, not seen the book you mention, will have to look it up,  have so many books that i need a drawing room to keep them in, still need to get the henry III voided penny book by churchill - thomas and learn the new classifications, 

Same here. I've invested much money in numistimatic literature and books. The book i pictured and mentioned above is called shortcross legends its by Gerry Slevin. I got mine off amazon in 2015. Its still available there though its gone up slightly since i purchased my copy. 

I picked up the Churchill Thomas Brussels hoard book earlier in the year online for £30 pre owned. Its a good book though i haven't yet completed it fully. Its a definite must for anyone interested in Henry III Longcross coinage. 

books are the best investing for a numismatist , I didn't know the Slevin's book... I personally think also that the Stewartby's work on english medieval coins is a great book.

I don't own the Stewertby book as yet. I'll buy it once i find it priced up at a decent figure. Maybe a second hand copy. Gerry Slevin has a book on the Dublin mint of Henry III. It covers the Irish Long cross coins under Henry. 

Getting back to your coin , i can see why the flo attributed it as 4b. The X in Rex does look blocky like the 4b ones also the S is blunded. My 4a X is quite thin and wirey.

I've not heard anyone put 4b coins in Johns corner before. I think he's probably made a mistake and got slighty confused. 

Edited by Ukstu

Guest Unidentifiable

Can anyone please help me identify this coin? I'm unsure of date and mint. I'm no expert on coins but have recently started a collection and still building up my knowledge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hard to tell from images, but looks like an Edward IV penny. Are you able to upload better quality photos?

looks to be london mint