British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

1937 Proof florin

i like a little Ebay flutter now and again, in fact its pretty much where i buy all my coins form these days, picked up this nice 1937 proof florin for just under a score, i was the only bidder, has a few marks on the obverse but its better than the one have already, my pictures don't do it justice 

P1010893.jpg

P1010896.jpg

There are two varieties of 1937 proof florin.  The 2nd I in SHILLING on the reverse either points to a tooth or a space.

3 hours ago, Nick said:

There are two varieties of 1937 proof florin.  The 2nd I in SHILLING on the reverse either points to a tooth or a space.

i:ll look into that, cheers 

14 hours ago, Nick said:

can you cite any references, can't seem to find anything, there was a matte proof version that i was already aware of, but thats as rare as hens teeth

48 minutes ago, craigy said:

can you cite any references, can't seem to find anything, there was a matte proof version that i was already aware of, but thats as rare as hens teeth

The two types are in in Davies (2070 & 2071), although at that time the 2071 proof was unconfirmed.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

The two types are in in Davies (2070 & 2071), although at that time the 2071 proof was unconfirmed.

yeaah just managed to spot the 2 diiferent ones, 

7 hours ago, Nick said:

Davies is a reference to "British Silver Coins Since 1816" by Peter J. Davies.  If you want a copy, Rob (rpcoins.co.uk) may have it in stock or you could look on eBay.

12 minutes ago, Nick said:

Davies is a reference to "British Silver Coins Since 1816" by Peter J. Davies.  If you want a copy, Rob (rpcoins.co.uk) may have it in stock or you could look on eBay.

cheers

was getting that confused withthe other book, silver coins of the 20th c, which i thought was a later ediion 

Edited by craigy

26 minutes ago, Nick said:

That is the David Groom book, well worth a buy if you like varieties.  The author (DaveG38) is a member of this forum.

i like books full stop ;0)         

Give me a PM with your details and I can sort out a copy tomorrow night when I am back from the Midland.