British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

This Mornings hammy

nice to find hammered this time of year, not had hammered off this particular field before so a Tealby cut half was a welcome start, ground is hard as, 

18815338_10154409958241020_483890529519270354_o.jpg

• Like 2

That's got an amazingly sharp rim and clean cut edge! How do you clean them in the field? Great find, what's the other side like?

10 minutes ago, Coinery said:

That's got an amazingly sharp rim and clean cut edge! How do you clean them in the field? Great find, what's the other side like?

ground is like dust, so no sticky mud, my fingers, bottle of water and my t shirt, i'll get you a shot of the other side when i get in from work, 

Edited by craigy

25 minutes ago, Coinery said:

you'll be amazed how some coins come out the soil, you will know if you detect, roman silver can come out covered in a thick layer making them look like a cruddy bronze, this Julia Domna denny took me hours of cleaning, shame it has a chunk missing, shame i didnt get a before pic either doh 

P1010165.jpg

P1010166.jpg

Edited by craigy
  • Like 3

Nice William the lion cut half, 

12027290_10153061203666020_5334432572163745136_o.jpg

• Like 1

Nice little Edwardian farthing, and a pair of Henry III cut quarters,  love finding these small coins  

12628466_10153199533406020_8703017737018221788_o.jpg

12891626_10153356039106020_2715139875149305036_o.jpg

• Like 1

Scottish thistle merk, think its an 8th one 

1412706_10153165629151020_3157678478074641535_o.jpg

Edited by craigy

I took the plunge and ordered a Garrett 400i today.... lets see how many shotgun shells I can find :)

5 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I took the plunge and ordered a Garrett 400i today.... lets see how many shotgun shells I can find :)

good machines garrets, i use a Minelab Explorer II, and a XP goldmaxxx power, love them both, the explorer cannot be beaten in the mud and wet sand, it loves it   

Nice Henry III London Penny, Moneyer ABEL 

12184159_10153068496091020_3986183313609168747_o.jpg

23 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Funny that great minds think alike. I have just bought the Garrett AT Pro and a Garrett Pro Pointer as well.:D Also joining my local club. All I need now is to find a permission to detect on that's going to be the hard part I think.:o

Edited by UPINSMOKE

I would loved to order an AT Pro but it was out of my price range. Hopefully the 400i will be good enough for all bar sea water. I have my insurances in places and 2 small permissions but need to join the local club :)

2 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I would loved to order an AT Pro but it was out of my price range. Hopefully the 400i will be good enough for all bar sea water. I have my insurances in places and 2 small permissions but need to join the local club :)

FID insurance ???     (federation of independent detectorists)  or NCMD (national council for metal detecting)  

12 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

NCMD

i always use fid, only cause my pal runs it now, you near to Northampton ? they ave digs every weekend that way, 

Who would you recommend for a club/institution ?I was with a group based in Swansea until the founder died and his widow didn't want to take the club further.For a few £ I got insurance and decent news letters. I haven't bothered since. I need to get back in the frame.

16 minutes ago, craigy said:

i always use fid, only cause my pal runs it now, you near to Northampton ? they ave digs every weekend that way, 

I am the other side of Brum so not a million miles away. I plan to join the MMCD when I get chance.

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

Who would you recommend for a club/institution ?I was with a group based in Swansea until the founder died and his widow didn't want to take the club further.For a few £ I got insurance and decent news letters. I haven't bothered since. I need to get back in the frame.

yeah that was colin hanson, richard evans runs it now (well his wife gill looks after it) , he runs the brilliant central searchers club based in northampton,  http://www.centralsearchers.co.uk/

Nice finds. I do a spot of detecting myself. Bought the Garrett Euroace in 2011. Good machine. Had some nice finds with it over the years.  Not been out much this year as my permissions sadly expired due to the land owner selling out for housing development. Hopefully find somewhere new before the summers over. 

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

Nice shape for the issue, not got round to id ing it properly yet, if anyone fancies a go that would be welcome 

P1010876.JPG

P1010877.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 10:26 PM, craigy said:

Scottish thistle merk, think its an 8th one 

1412706_10153165629151020_3157678478074641535_o.jpg

Can I see also the other face ? I love this coinage :)

6 hours ago, Matteo95 said:

Can I see also the other face ? I love this coinage :)

well get a shot later, never found one before