British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

will1976

British error penny on a foreign planchet

I'm trying to identify the planchet which this penny has been minted on so I can add one to my collection for reference. Weight is 2.6 grams 20mm diameter brass and non magnetic  

cropped2999.jpg

cropped3000a.jpg

• Like 1

Going from Proof Sets I have handled and the shape it would be worth looking at Sudan, Swaziland or Ceylon, Royal Mint produced coinage for all around that time

A date would help. The picture is too small. 83, 86 or 88?

All you have to do is plough through Krause until you find a suitable match. It's a bit tedious, that's all.

41 minutes ago, Rob said:

All you have to do is plough through Krause until you find a suitable match. It's a bit tedious, that's all.

1983. ok I'll give it a go Rob, will let you know if I have any luck!

45 minutes ago, Chingford said:

Going from Proof Sets I have handled and the shape it would be worth looking at Sudan, Swaziland or Ceylon, Royal Mint produced coinage for all around that time

Thank you, using Robs sugestion I'll try those countries first

Do it systematically, i.e. start at the beginning, otherwise you will be revisiting old territory. Sod here can guarantee it will be Zambia or Zimbabwe

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, Rob said:

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:41 AM, scott said:

hong kong 20 cents perhaps?

Thank you to all who made suggestions, it is a Hong Kong 20 cent