British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
OliwierEB

Help with identification of unknown coin

Hello, I've had this coin for a while but am unsure of what it actually is. Hopefully on eof you'll be able to help me identify this coin, it seems quite mysterious to me.

Thank you.

identity2.jpg

identity1.jpg

Pictures are too dark to be much use, but it looks like IOAN CASI and the date is 1661 in which case it is probably Johann Casimir of Thorn in Poland. I can't match anything, but there again I can't see much in the picture. Whether it is real or not I can't say. Size?

14 hours ago, Rob said:

Pictures are too dark to be much use, but it looks like IOAN CASI and the date is 1661 in which case it is probably Johann Casimir of Thorn in Poland. I can't match anything, but there again I can't see much in the picture. Whether it is real or not I can't say. Size?

Sorry for the lighting, it has a diameter of 16mm.

Guest Matt

Hello can anyone help to identify this coin, found in my garden. Many Thanks 

IMG_4758.JPG

Not a coin, but a counting token or Rechenpffenig. Made in Nuremberg, Germany and used on a counting board to work out accounts before Europe adopted the Arabic concept of zero as a number. Just google rechenpffenig and all will be clear.

These Nuremberg Jetton are actually quite common metal detecting finds in the U.K., but you were nonetheless lucky to spot it. It might improve with a gentle scrub with a soft brush in cold water.

Jerry