British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

1699 halfpenny overstuck T?

One of my recently acquired 1699s has what appears to be an overstruck T in Britannia. I'm including a photo of the isolated T next to that of Tertivs for comparison. 

1699 obv .jpg

1699 rev .jpg

T detail-01.jpg

• Like 1

Nice example - very few around in this grade now .Rarer date as well

A coin to treasure

I'm pleased to hear you like too C. I've always been a big fan of the early milled coppers. Here's another 1699 also recently bought. This may or may not be the 'no stop after Gvlielmvs' variety, I can't say for sure. Either way, original planchet flaw aside, its in much better condition than is usually seen, particularly the reverse which is often poorly detailed even on decent examples. The slight double striking is fun too.

1699 A.jpg

1699 B.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

Both excellent examples of a hard to find coin in good condition. Nice coins. ?

britannias head always seems to strike up poorly on these coins

isn't that a die error the filled thing, I have a few..

1699-1701 the quality goes downhill

1033721.jpg

find a few missing N as well

1028036.jpg

spot the error ;)

1026307.jpg

another example of the filled T's... also on a cast planchet

1012214.jpg

1024869.jpg

2 more spot the errors

some other rare unlisted William halfpenny errors

1017124.jpg

1039701.jpg

6 over 5?

• Like 1

Here is the last of my trio of '99s recently acquired. Common below Fine but harder to find in better grades so I'm quite happy with these.

Scott, when you say from 1699 the quality goes downhill I assume you mean quality control, as evidenced by the number of legend errors seen? I've always found the portrait and Britannia dies to be superior to those of the first two issues. The portrait, particularly, is better rendered and stands in bold relief compared with the first which is somewhat flat by comparison.

1699-3-obv.jpg

1699-3-rev.jpg

• Like 1