British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

Re: Real??

Hi guys.

I am quite new to collecting hammered coins. I purchased this one last week. Its a Charles 1st hammered shilling. My doubt about it is that it looks rather porous. Is this unusual? 

Your help is always appreciated. 

Regards. 

20170627_130008~2.jpg

Here is the reverse...

20170627_130030~2.jpg

FAKE!!!

• Like 1

Hi Declan,

I have seven or eight in various grades and none of them have surfaces which look like this one. I'm no hammered expert but my instincts are to think its shouting 'I'm a fake, and I don't give a damn who knows it!'. The colour is very reminiscent of the WRL replicas which often appear on ebay. Those usually have 'WRL' stamped onto them somewhere so I'm concerned about that (conveniently?) rubbed area at 5 o'clock on the reverse. I also think your asking in the first place suggests your own instincts are telling you this one isn't right.

As I say, these are just my initial feelings, I'm sure one of the resident hammered coins experts will be able to confirm one way or the other very soon.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

Certainly a WRL fake with the logo deliberately partially  obscured.  Get your money back, or report the fraud to the police, this sort of thing is becoming all too commonplace.

Jerry

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly. Either this has been sold on as it is by someone who genuinely didn't know or the 'WRL' has been deliberately removed in an attempt to deceive.

• Like 1

Follow Jerrys advice. Push for a refund , ebay will support you fully. Show them the link above that mikes posted. 

If you come unstuck post back here with any obstacles and amongst us we should be able to help. 

• Like 2

Gosh!! Thank you guys. I purchased it from ebay last week. I had a niggling doubt about it, what with the porousness and it just didn't seem to have that silver noise you here when you drop it. I can see the copy sign now that it has been pointed out to me!! I  only wonder how many of the rest of my hammered coins are fakes, ten or so in total.

Anyway i cannot thank you guys enough. I will get on the case for a refund.

Kind regards. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Gosh!! Thank you guys. I purchased it from ebay last week. I had a niggling doubt about it, what with the porousness and it just didn't seem to have that silver noise you here when you drop it. I can see the copy sign now that it has been pointed out to me!! I  only wonder how many of the rest of my hammered coins are fakes, ten or so in total.

Anyway i cannot thank you guys enough. I will get on the case for a refund.

Kind regards. 

Do post photos of your hammered coins if you have any doubt. Hopefully they are all genuine but it is nice to get some reassurance. 

• Like 2

Was it the coin from omega02? He states that he is selling it for a friend who found it metal detecting, ALL LIES I suspect. Reclaim your money through PayPal if he doesn't cough up, and report him to eBay. Through Paypal you should get any postage too.

Jerry

• Like 1

Utter scumbag.

Tomgoodheart on the forum (Richard) is your man in the know on CH 1 1/- 's.There are better fakes about so tread carefully or buy from trusted dealers.

• Like 1

If you buy them all to resell Declan why not just not bother with hammered and stick to what you know best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Was it the coin from omega02? He states that he is selling it for a friend who found it metal detecting, ALL LIES I suspect. Reclaim your money through PayPal if he doesn't cough up, and report him to eBay. Through Paypal you should get any postage too.

Jerry

Yes, couldn't possibly have been found metal detecting unless someone dropped it into soft mud last week, so this would mean either his 'friend' is lying to him, and has had him list it on his behalf knowing it to be fake, or the seller himself knows it is a fake. Let's not forget also, no explanation has been given for the damage to the coin which, conveniently, appears precisely where the word 'copy' had been stamped by the manufacturer.

I wrote to him on 13 June:

"Sadly, your friend's item is a copy worth a couple of £

The plough mark unfortunately erases where the coin was stamped COPY, hence his confusion"

I sent him a link to the Dorchesters listing too. Hopefully you'll have no problem getting your money back.

57 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

I wrote to him on 13 June:

"Sadly, your friend's item is a copy worth a couple of £

The plough mark unfortunately erases where the coin was stamped COPY, hence his confusion"

I sent him a link to the Dorchesters listing too. Hopefully you'll have no problem getting your money back.

I am pretty sure hes a con merchant really LOL

Hey guys....what a talented bunch of friends to have. Thank you!! Yes Jerry,Tom & Co it was Omega3 that i purchased this coin from. He says his imaginery friend is rather upset that i called him a fraudster. ..ooopss!!

He won't accept a return,  but ebay are always on the buyers side. It may take a couple of weeks for a refund but fortunately i am in no hurry. Its not the first time i have purchased a forgery that i knew of, to save some person being robbed. Ebay always refund me.

Yes PWA (sorry i will hopefully get your names right eventually ) i buy milled coins and resell them, not always at a profit i may add and with whatever profit i make i reinvest it into a hammered coin. As you said i should stick to what i kind of know and not go walking in blind buying hammered coins and hoping everyone is honest. I think i have about a dozen of these coins and i will post them on here over the next few days. Hopefully they are ok because they are well past there return date.It is much appreciated you taking the time to look at my coins.

Thank you all again.

Kind regards.

Kevin. .. (sorry but when it asked for a user name i never realised it was supposed to be my real name!!)

P.s.

Did you see his other ĺistings?

Cow & sheep teeth......found while out metal detecting. .....i asked him whether the teeth had fillings to be able to find them!! Then again, the faker that he is, they are most probably his own teeth!!

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

P.s.

Did you see his other ĺistings?

Cow & sheep teeth......found while out metal detecting. .....i asked him whether the teeth had fillings to be able to find them!! Then again, the faker that he is, they are most probably his own teeth!!

No. Who was the seller?

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

No. Who was the seller?

omega_02

Just been looking through his items for sale too, what a load of tat! But his 'Roman ring" is a typical piece of modern tourist repro and his "Neolithic tool" is a beach pebble.  Not a trustworthy seller.

Jerry

• Like 2

Lmao at the beach pebble, you gave me a chuckle!!

• Like 1

He obviously does river bank walks. I often find cow , sheep & horse teeth that get washed up on the banks of the Ribble. Some old some modern it depends whether they have gone in over the past few years or been washed out the banks with erosion. Found a fossilised equus tooth once. Why anyone would buy manky old animal teeth is beyond me. As for that Neolithic tool its just a river rock. The rest of his wares look like £1 land trinkets. I've seen his crap listed under detecting finds before. If it sells its quickly replaced with identical stock. That silly MCL crucifix has sold a few times. 

Definitely a con man. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

"The rest of his wares look like £1 land trinkets."

:lol: Good one Stu.

• Like 2

Maybe the cows and sheep have had good dentists in the past .

This would account for the finding of them with a metal detector.

• Like 2