British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Freeman Catalogue

Christies 23/10/1984. Partly hand priced with buyers. £15 delivered to a UK address.

On 6/23/2017 at 1:30 AM, Rob said:

Christies 23/10/1984. Partly hand priced with buyers. £15 delivered to a UK address.

I'll take it if it's not already gone, Rob.

Thanks Mike, I'll get it in the post this pm.

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

Thanks Mike, I'll get it in the post this pm.

Do you want me to credit the same account you sent me details of in November 2015 when I bought the Cuff auction book off you, Rob? 

Let me know what postage to add on.

Edited by 1949threepence

Details with the catalogue, but yes, same account. £15 all in.

OK Rob, now paid - same account

Many thanks.

Arrived today - thanks again. I would have bought Pete's when he offered it last October, but I was too late and Jerry had already bought it. 

Great to have an actual original copy of the Freeman sale. Never thought I would get one B) 

Mike, let me know if you'd like a copy of the prices realised list.

R

• Like 1

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

R

Very much so Richard, yes. Shall I PM you?

On 28/06/2017 at 7:13 PM, secret santa said:

R

Hi Richard, a scan of this would be very welcome in Deepest Herefordshire too!

Jerry

Richard, a big thank you for the e mail scan with the realised prices at the Freeman auction.  

• Like 1

Just looking at the realised prices from the Freeman Auction made me realise just what amazing bargains there were to be had, even after adjusting to current inflation. For example:-

Lot 14, containing Freemans 17, 18, (the extremely rare 19) 20 and an EF 21, with a lower/upper estimate of £250/ £300, didn't even sell !!! - leastways, not at the auction itself.

Lot 16, a Freeman 23 in EF, lower/upper estimate again £250/£300, went for just £237 hammer !!

Lot 17, containing an EF F26, a very worn F27 and a GF F28, lower/upper estimate £80/£100, went for just £54.

Lot 18, containing an EF F29 and a fine F30, estimate £100/£300, didn't sell.

Lot 26, containing a mint state normal 1863 penny, and a fine slender 3, estimate £120/£150, went for £118

Lot 28, 1863 die No 2 under date, VF, estimate £400/£500, went for £453

Lot 29, 1863 die No 3 under date, fine £150/£200, went for just £129.

There are many more.        

Yes you would buy them all wouldnt you :D

I wonder how many penny collectors were about in 1984 who were happy to pay £400+ for a coin.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes you would buy them all wouldnt you :D

I wonder how many penny collectors were about in 1984 who were happy to pay £400+ for a coin.

If time travel were possible, I would definitely have bid for lots 14, 17 & 28. Maybe some others.

Not sure what the coin market was like at that point, but I don't think it was as active as today, being pre internet. It certainly wasn't as rampant as in the late 60's - although at that time some of the rare varieties we know today, hadn't yet been identified. 

Edited by 1949threepence

24 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If time travel were possible, I would definitely have bid for lots 14, 17 & 28. Maybe some others.

Not sure what the coin market was like at that point, but I don't think it was as active as today, being pre internet. It certainly wasn't as rampant as in the late 60's - although at that time some of the rare varieties we know today, hadn't yet been identified. 

The early eighties saw a 30% drop in prices which basically unwound some of the large increases of the 70s that was due to the inflation seen in that decade. Prices then slowly increased from the reset baseline. The curve steepened around the millennium or soon after, then steepened again following the financial meltdown in 2007/8. QE has ensured that the supply of money is effectively unrestricted, with a lot of that finding its way into alternative investments for the collector, or easy credit for the spendthrift consumer. Should be a ready supply of used upper end motors in the not too distant future for anyone looking to pick and choose a restoration/old car collection hobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hope you would of left me a couple Mike :D

I would have left you more than a couple, Pete. I'm not greedy, just keen B)

1 hour ago, Rob said:

The early eighties saw a 30% drop in prices which basically unwound some of the large increases of the 70s that was due to the inflation seen in that decade. Prices then slowly increased from the reset baseline. The curve steepened around the millennium or soon after, then steepened again following the financial meltdown in 2007/8. QE has ensured that the supply of money is effectively unrestricted, with a lot of that finding its way into alternative investments for the collector, or easy credit for the spendthrift consumer. Should be a ready supply of used upper end motors in the not too distant future for anyone looking to pick and choose a restoration/old car collection hobby.

I hope so. Back in the mid 1980s, a friend of mine owned a sports car garage and to my disappoinment at the time sold a soft top Aston Martin V8 for around £17K. Fantastic car. A couple of years later he was moaning that if he'd held onto it he could have got £80k for it. Another few years on and prices had again dropped well back.

Much the same has happened to classic car prices since the crash of 2008. My own Volvo P1800S has increased in value, but nothing like the increases seen for some more exotic (and not so exotic) types. I'm personally hoping for a price easing in the future so that I can obtain something a little more exotic than the Volvo. Probably not an Aston, but maybe a Jensen.

On 1 July 2017 at 8:46 PM, 1949threepence said:

Actually, the coin market was rampant from about 1979 - 1981/2, which is also the period when the Bunker Hunt family in the US tried to corner the world market in silver (Coin Monthly prices for BU George VI florins went from £2 to £12 for a brief period).

Things then stabilised and became pretty stagnant from  the mid-80s to mid-90s, when Spinks acquired Seabys and the Coincraft Catalogue had its brief flowering. Then eBay appeared etc etc [cont. p94]

I know where you get your news from. nah, nah, nah, nah, nah. A splendid organ. :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this