British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Coin Photos

I know everyone has their own ideas on this topic and I have been trying to obtain acceptable photos for some time.

Finally I have found something that seems to work. The coin below was photographed by a Lumix DMC-TZ20 camera

without any illumination save the light in the room being a small table lamp which was shadowed where the coin was situated by my printer. The Lumix

was mounted on an Aldi Maginon tripod and set on IA focused on the coin to fill as much of the field as possible. The photo was taken

using the 10 s. delay to avoid movement. The f stop was 6.4 and shutter speed 1/15 s.. I have tried before with extra illumination

and using the macro setting which proved unsatisfactory with bright highlights on parts of the coin and poor depth of field 

1913 Halfcrown a.jpg

• Like 2

Nice one. 

I just use the camera on my tablet. Not as good as yours, but does a reasonable job.  

I am no expert but have spent many hours trying to get results that I am happy with. For me, capturing the toning and eye appeal as it is in hand, is the primary objective.

Here is an example of a 1918 HC I am happy with, photos-wise, a different coin to yours of course. It has the same 'life' and 'depth' as when I view it in the raw:

1918_hc_04_02_2400.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Paulus,

As I have said I am learning to photograph coins.  Here is an example of a shiny coin. It  was taken under the same conditions as before but lacks the lustre and consistency you have managed to achieve. Any tips would be appreciated.

Clipboard.jpg

The only question should be: "Is my photo an accurate representation of the coin?".  If so, mission accomplished.  If not, keep experimenting...

Here is my 1918 halfcrown:

D1668.jpg

I have been messing around with lighting lately, this 1918 I picked up a few weeks ago and it lit by a single daylight bulb lamp from the top of the coin trying to get the light source as far over the coin without blocking the lens.

1918-hc-4.jpg

Edited by Nonmortuus

3 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

I have been messing around with lighting lately, this 1918 I picked up a few weeks ago and it lit by a single daylight bulb lamp from the top of the coin trying to get the light source as far over the coin without blocking the lens.

I use the same method.  Daylight bulb, DSLR with macro lens, subject about 15-20cm from end of lens.

Despite recommendations to the contrary, you may want to give axial lighting a go. I've built a small box and been playing around. So far I've found that a combination of one light source doing the axial thing + another one on top you can get quite nice results, specially with bronze/ copper. I attach a couple of examples:

PennyRED.jpg

FarthingERED.jpg

SixpenceRED.jpg

• Like 1

This is the homemade box that I use.

The camera is a Sony e-lens with a long tele and some extension rings to be able to focus close. The lights are IKEA. The copystand is a recent addition from eBay and I am delighted with it...

Setup.jpg

• Like 1

Hat off Leo ...pictures speak more than a thousand words :)

The third pictures look spot on and a nice Copper penny.

Thank you! I am pleased with the results but it has taken me more than a year to get to it. 

I love that penny. One of my favourite coins and I'm delighted that finally I've managed to get a photograph closer to what it looks like.

11 minutes ago, Leo said:

Thank you! I am pleased with the results but it has taken me more than a year to get to it. 

I love that penny. One of my favourite coins and I'm delighted that finally I've managed to get a photograph closer to what it looks like.

Have you got one of the reverse or will it take a while ?. ;)

Have you tried blocking the light perpendicular to the camera?  Otherwise, some light will reflect off the glass into the camera and reduce the contrast.  You may then be able to dispense with the direct lighting.

5 hours ago, Nick said:

Have you tried blocking the light perpendicular to the camera?  Otherwise, some light will reflect off the glass into the camera and reduce the contrast.  You may then be able to dispense with the direct lighting.

I suppose putting a screen to block hitting the lens? I have this morning. It makes sense, but I can't really tell yet...

17 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Have you got one of the reverse or will it take a while ?.

Of course! Now I need to photograph again ALL of my coins :)

1858 PE2r.jpg

• Like 1