British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

Grading coins.

Hi again. 

Can anyone give me a rough idea as to what grade this halfcrowns is?

Thank you. 

20170619_163616~2.jpg

Heads side.

20170619_163634~3.jpg

The reverse is better than the obverse. Overall, VF?

37 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

The reverse is better than the obverse. Overall, VF?

Actually, looking again at the detail on the shield etc, it would probably appear better than VF 'in the hand'. 

I would give it GVF/NEF.

I agree with Sleepy, in my opinion the reverse is near EF in terms of wear with the obverse not quite as good but at least VF.  

However, it appears to have fairly limited eye appeal, which will limit its potential buying audience if you were thinking of selling it.

You could try washing it GENTLY in pure soapy water and a completely non-abrasive cloth (micro-fibre, like they give out with spectacles), then wash and dab dry with a clean towel (don't wipe dry).

It that makes little or no difference, come back and ask what your next options are.

I agree with the GVF/NEF grade. but only for wear not for eye appeal, which as has been said, is limited.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes  those were the words i was trying to think of when trying to grade it....eye appeal!! Its actually a lot darker than the picture from which i bought it. But i am happy enough with it at the price. If it can come up any lighter with your idea Peckris then all the better.

After the wash....its better in my opinion?

20170619_212526~2.jpg

• Like 1

If you look up "Silver Dipping" on the forum you will see some experiments of mine with soaking a very similar coin in olive oil.

• Like 1

After cleaning the coin look much better. I grade it as "Fine"

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, declan03 said:

After the wash....its better in my opinion?

Yes, very much better IMO. It looks more naturally toned. Certainly a GVF obverse, I'll wait to see the reverse. 

• Like 1