British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

Silver Penny extra pellets.

I had added this question and photos to the end of Jimmy Mercia's post about his London silver penny, but I think I should really have posted it here:

"I have about a dozen of these but am useless at attributing to specific classes, so the above link will make for very interesting reading.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me about this one which appears to have extra pellets in one of the reverse quarters? Thanks."

London 1-b.jpg

London 1-a.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

Hey, Mick, I spotted this one in the other thread but I'm at my dad's for the weekend, so haven't any access to books, hence my memory recall 'only' on the crown type in the other post, but will look at that too when I get back.

re the pellets (will look out the class later), I don't believe it intentional, just a partially struck coin being re-entered into the die. It could also happen that a coin of a different monarch is used, leaving some of the remaining details visible in the fields. Equally, it could be old die stock that hasn't been properly cut back before punching in the new design (finding a matching reverse die would confirm this). 

Either way, I wouldn't say it's anything significant, especially in the field of hand hammered coins. Different perhaps in the milled market. :)

Hope you're well? Will come back to the class early next week, unless someone gets in before me!

Sorry for the delay, Mick! EDWAR ANGL DNS HYB closed letters, one piece S, etc. etc. - Withers Class 10cf

...and as I mentioned, other than numismatically, no special significance re the extra pellets! 

Thanks Stuart, much appreciated.

How about this pair of Canterbury jobs, could you ID these too please?

Cantor 1-a.jpg

Cantor 1-b.jpg

Cantor 2-a.jpg

Cantor 2-b.jpg