British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Spudger

1861 Sovereign

I understand this sovereign to be coin alignment. When I position the head to be what I consider to be upright the shield back seems to be greater than 180 degrees out. My question is how do I know I have positioned the head correctly upright. I positioned the date to appear horizontal. Is it possible the dies are out of alignment. What is the procedure to get an exact measurement?

There isn't a procedure. There will be a certain amount of movement in any case from wear to the locating mechanism, so as long as it looks approximately ok I would be happy. Clearly it shouldn't be too far out, but given there are pennies and halfpennies I have seen that are say 10 degrees out, I would not be surprised to see similar variation in any denomination.

Best bet is to align everything with respect to the shield which has a definite marker for 12 and 6 o'clock.

IMG_2318.jpg

Thanks for your response. Alignment using the shield is possible but how do you check if the portrait is 180 degrees relative to that. I've only got one shieldback so can't make comparison. Seems a bit hit and miss and how about a coin with no obvious markers.

I've used the shield as you suggested. The head shown is the result. Should the date be more horizontal?

1 hour ago, Spudger said:

Alignment using the shield is possible but how do you check if the portrait is 180 degrees relative 

Use a mirror, maybe draw some lines on it to check things are parallel.

I successfully aligned the shield vertically in a holder. The photograph shows the resultant position of the head.  Question now,  is that as it should be. How do you know the correct position for the portrait.

I think the best way is to see the correct position in Internet or in the catalog

1861-lot25001-ms64-p.png

Thanks for your response. If I got the shield dead vertical looks like my coin is a bit out as my photo shows.